Esteemed Contributor

Another Grandparent Question When You.....

went to visit were they fun Grandparents or sit and don't touch Grandparents?  Mom's parents lived with us and we were allowed to color, fingerpaint and just be kids of course. Dad's Father was a sweetheart. Gram wasn't mean but her house was not just clean but perfect at all times. Crayons and God forbid paints were a big no. We just sat when we were in the house or went outside if we wanted to play.

My son dated a woman with a 2 yr. old.  I had some toys here and somehow I had some waterbased fingerpaints.  Her grandparents  didn't like messy things.  I put newspapers on the kitchen floor and table, she was in her training undies and went to town sitting on DS's lap. She wanted his shirt off, he got his face, chest, stomach and arms painted. she had a ball. Afterwards in the tub she went and while her Mom bathed her DS and I gathered the newspapers and wiped everything down. After DS showered we were all good as new. We took pictures and that kid laughed like crazy whenever she saw them.

Valued Contributor

Re: Another Grandparent Question When You.....

We had a blast when we would visit my grandparents. In the summers, we would go swimming, play basketball and badminton, play hopscotch, climb trees, play on the swing set, hike in the woods, roller skate and bike around the property, ride the lawn mower, help garden, make our own kites out of newspaper and fly them, and catch lightning bugs while we wound down on the front porch at night. In the colder months, we would play board games, help cook and bake, roast marshmallows in the fireplace, color, paint with watercolors, and play in the snow. The time we spent with our grandparents was magical.

Esteemed Contributor

only knew my maternal grandparents.....don't think my grandfather ever spoke to us while sitting in his chair smoking Camels....my grandmother would play cards with me....and make my favorite ice cream soda.....i think things were different back then....my grandkids have always had fun at my house.....except for the no glitter rule!!

Honored Contributor

I think we were fun...I would let my granddaughter sit on the counter top and help mix up cookies, mashed potatoes, what ever I was cooking....and sometimes the mixer came out of the bowl before I was able to shut it off!!  We also did crafts as well as bake and frost cookies...we had fun, sprinkles everywhere!!  The mess did not bother me.

My niece would like to comb and style DH's hair, he was a wet mess when she was done.

Honored Contributor

My maternal grandmother was a saint, but you were not allowed to mess up her house inside or outside. I spent no time at my paternal grandparents home, but there was no messing anything up inside the house the few times I was there either. Of course, both places we could run and play outside in the yard, but you knew you better not break or damage anything.

Honored Contributor

My mother insisted that I wasn't related to my dad's side of the family.......so I was kinda afraid of them.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Oh it was a blast. I was around my dads parents more than my moms lived in a different state and I didn't get to see them as often. They lived in the city. I don't have as many memories of them, my maternal grandma died when I was very young. I do remember going fishing with that gradpa when I was little, it was fun visiting him and I loved to see my cousins.

My dads family were truly southern hicks. Thats why I'm like this I guess and I wouldn't change a thing. I was blessed beyond belief to have the childhood I had. We didn't have much money, but we had everything else. I knew I was loved beyond belief when I was with my grandparents. Now that I am older, I realize how truly blessed I was.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi   That is a good one!  My mother would have liked to insist that, too, since she didn't like most of my dad's "tribe" as she referred to them.  Only a few were decent to her and my paternal grandmother wasn't one of the nice ones.  She thought my mother wasn't good enough for my father.  My mom grit her teeth and treated her nicely out of respect for Grandmother's age.

Fate had the last say, since she died in my parents' home, not one of her other six "darling" offspring.

Trusted Contributor

Polish grandma a little stern.

Had to be more quiet to be respectful of the apartment neighbors.

Italian grandma, she spoiled me rotten.

Valued Contributor

My Grandparents were the best. They were very loving, kind, spiritual and best of all. Always had Mexican Food ready for who would ever show up. Boy do I miss my Grandpa's red chile Woman LOL I never met my Paternal grandparents because they had past away before I was born.