Trusted Contributor

Re: Shoplifting Getting More Bold

I worked my entire life in retail. I can tell you stories that would curl your hair. I never had a problem with law enforcement not taking shoplifting seriously. You can report the incident and sometimes the officer will know immediately who you're talking about, sometimes not. A lot of shoplifters are repeat offenders or work in groups. Certain times of the year are more active than others. But they have definitely gotten bolder. Every company I've ever worked for has had the policy that no piece of merchandise, no matter how costly, is worth your life. In the mid 1980's I was robbed at gunpoint at the clothing store I was working at. Very scary experience. I worked closely with the local police and detectives, and the guy was caught. He got, and served, seven years. I wish it would have been more, but I was satisfied with the sentence.

Esteemed Contributor

Not all areas of the country ignore shoplifting gangs. I live in the midwest and shoplifting, especially by groups or gangs are not ignored. There are frequent photos on the daily news that capture store or mall video cameras that identify people (not by name) who are doing this. Store and mall security work closely with law enforecement, especially when it involves groups who are caught on video stealing from multiple stores, and particularly if weapons are used. Not saying the problem will be solved, but it seems to being dealt with.

Respected Contributor

@staciesmom wrote:

My husband needed new athletic shoes recently but hates to shop so when I was in Kohls I decided to pick out 3 or 4 pairs and put them on my charge then return what he didn't want. I picked up a box of Nikes in his size and opened it only to find an old pair of loafers. When I found a sales associate and showed her, she was very unimpressed and said people do this a lot - she said they average 4 or 5 pairs of shoes stolen every day! I cannot believe they don't put those censor devices on each pair and deactivate it at checkout. 

I guess i dont have a criminal mind. It never occured to me to even do that but I could see how they can get away unless a security camera or guard sees it.  Amazing what people will do.