Respected Contributor

Shoplifting Getting More Bold

Shoplifting gangs of groups getting more bold and prevalent.  Ruins it for all of us .  Not only are we concerned with safety but we see our shopping opportunities erode.  Strip shopping and outlets make it easier to hit and run away before police can arrive.

Respected Contributor

Re: Shoplifting Getting More Bold

Years ago I witnessed someone shoplifting a lemon (they stuck it in their coat pocket) in a super market.  When I reported it to the store desk they failed to do anything.  The response from the young woman was "I will report it to management".  I dont think stores are doing enough to prevent this kind of thing.

Honored Contributor

Eh. I remember bold shoplifting gangs in the late 70's early 80's hitting the high-end stores in the MD area ( I was in high school and working part time in retail then). One group targeted furs. Because of this, stores moved the furs to the back of the stores instead of up front near the main doors to the outside. Same with high end bags and shoes. 

It's nothing new.

Respected Contributor

Some areas of the country will not prosecute shoplifters.  If the items stolen are worth less than $900.00 I think.  There are videos of people with armfuls of clothes walking right out of a Marshall's.  The stores will not call police because there is nothing they can do.  It is very disturbing and unfair to business owners.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Eh. I remember bold shoplifting gangs in the late 70's early 80's hitting the high-end stores in the MD area ( I was in high school and working part time in retail then). One group targeted furs. Because of this, stores moved the furs to the back of the stores instead of up front near the main doors to the outside. Same with high end bags and shoes. 

It's nothing new.

Exactly!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Some areas of the country will not prosecute shoplifters.  If the items stolen are worth less than $900.00 I think.  There are videos of people with armfuls of clothes walking right out of a Marshall's.  The stores will not call police because there is nothing they can do.  It is very disturbing and unfair to business owners.  

Well I guess thats why they did not take my report of a .50 cent lemon seriously.  Butits the principle that matters, Many of us are struggling to make ends meat and have to purchase the store brand labels to affotd food as it is.  The stores just pass their loss onto the honest paying customer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The roaming groups of teens is one big reason so many malls began to close...shoppers felt intimidated and harassed; then online shopping was the final nail in the coffin. Laws won’t let the police do anything if the price of what is stolen is less than a specific amount...here it is $900.00 but I think it varies by area, so store managers can’t stop it. Another reason prices increase. We had a young store clerk die a couple of years ago when she ran after a guy who had stolen a six pack of beer from a convenience store. He struck her with his car when he was getting away and left her lying in the parking lot. Managers tell employees not to pursue or even confront anyone they see shoplifting...just tell security...if they even have any.

I have seen women, more than once, put stolen merchandise like stacks of clothing under their baby in a stroller. They see me watching them, pause, and then just keep doing it. Sometimes they have a toddler with them...what a terrible example. SMH.

Esteemed Contributor

Store security isn't going to tackle someone and throw them to the ground over a $0.50 lemon.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
The roaming groups of teens is one big reason so many malls began to close...then online hopping was the final nail in the coffin.laws won’t let the police do anything if the price of what is stolen is less than a specific amount...it varies by area, so store managers just have to let it happen. We had a young store clerk die a couple of years ago when she ran after a guy who had stolen a six pack of beer from a convenience store. He struck her with his car when he was getting away and left her lying in the parking lot. Managers tell employees not to pursue or even confront anyone they see shoplifting...just tell security...if they even have any.

Just another reason the brick and mortar stores are closing I guess.  Less chance of theft online but I imagine the criminals can hack that too.   Sad that America has come to this.  The days of shopping outings with family seem to be coming to an end. I read that within 50 years robots will be running the world. Glad I wont live to see it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The roaming groups of teens is, IMHO, a different situation than the gangs who are essentially setting up a "flash mob robbery" situation at specific stores. The latter is usually an organized event with big crime connections though it can be neighborhood punks just being punks. 

The roaming teens is a bigger issue and some malls do deal with it and some don't. Bottom line, this is a PARENTING issue and the parents are NOWHERE to be found. A very large mall near me dealt with it in this way:

ANY individual under the age of 18 who is NOT with an adult from 2:30 pm to closing MUST WEAR AN ID BRACELET PROVIDED BY MALL SECURITY. This is done with the assistant of the county police. Friday, Saturday and Sundays county police are at the mall monitoring. The check for the bracelets and remove teens (by calling their parents). It was a mess in the beginning but the change......WOW. The ONLY people who complained were....you guessed it....the teens and their absentee parents/guardians. Shoppers, stores, mall employees, EVERYONE loves the policy. When school lets out for the summer, the policy is extended from open to close hours, 7 days a week. It takes time, effort and following through but it DOES work.