Respected Contributor

Re: Shoplifting Getting More Bold

This whole world is turning in to a bunch of losers. They need a good swift kick in the butt. They'd rather steal then go out and just get a job like the rest of us. Can't even imagine what it's going to be like in the next 5-10 years, if that. There's a lot more I'd like to say, but I'd get poofed real quick.

Honored Contributor

Oh for goodness sakes there has always been shoplifters ,and dishonest people. Read Charles Dickens...******an was  in charge of a band of them

We have always had crime . I certainly can't think of any age in history without it

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a great plan in theory but I am sure it would be legally challenged here and be shot down. Age discrimination, race, gender, and everything else could be cited...so it wouldn’t stand a chance where I live.
Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

Some areas of the country will not prosecute shoplifters.  If the items stolen are worth less than $900.00 I think.  There are videos of people with armfuls of clothes walking right out of a Marshall's.  The stores will not call police because there is nothing they can do.  It is very disturbing and unfair to business owners.  

Well I guess thats why they did not take my report of a .50 cent lemon seriously.  Butits the principle that matters, Many of us are struggling to make ends meat and have to purchase the store brand labels to affotd food as it is.  The stores just pass their loss onto the honest paying customer.

It's hard to do anyting off the say so of another person. If you work in a store and you're going to accuse someone of shoplifting you need to see it yourself and be sure you know what the item is and where they have it. If the person another customer saw put it back or something the store could be in trouble for accusing them.

They probably should have sent someone to watch the person a bit in case they took something else, but it's possible they don't have an actual loss prevention person and don't want random employees doing it.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Years ago I witnessed someone shoplifting a lemon (they stuck it in their coat pocket) in a super market.  When I reported it to the store desk they failed to do anything.  The response from the young woman was "I will report it to management".  I dont think stores are doing enough to prevent this kind of thing.

@Reever 

'...they failed to do anything.'

How do you know that?

And what do you suggest they do?

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess Not really unless your area doesn't want to deal with it (it's a pain in the butt to set up but worth the effort). The mall policy has always been no unattended minors (didn't know that till I had kids), all kids have to wear them (mine do when I'm with them) and gender means nothing-it's all AGE based. 

Again, the only ones who complained where the ones causing the problems....surprise,surprise, surprise.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Some areas of the country will not prosecute shoplifters.  If the items stolen are worth less than $900.00 I think.  There are videos of people with armfuls of clothes walking right out of a Marshall's.  The stores will not call police because there is nothing they can do.  It is very disturbing and unfair to business owners.  

It is unfair to those of us who pay more to cover The shoplifting habits of criminals.I saw someone taking a cart of groceries out the door... manager told me there was nothing they could do about it as they had no security working.I have seen a lot of theft in that store so apparently the word is out.I just don’t shop in that store anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
The roaming groups of teens is one big reason so many malls began to close...then online hopping was the final nail in the coffin.laws won’t let the police do anything if the price of what is stolen is less than a specific amount...it varies by area, so store managers just have to let it happen. We had a young store clerk die a couple of years ago when she ran after a guy who had stolen a six pack of beer from a convenience store. He struck her with his car when he was getting away and left her lying in the parking lot. Managers tell employees not to pursue or even confront anyone they see shoplifting...just tell security...if they even have any.

Just another reason the brick and mortar stores are closing I guess.  Less chance of theft online but I imagine the criminals can hack that too.   Sad that America has come to this.  The days of shopping outings with family seem to be coming to an end. I read that within 50 years robots will be running the world. Glad I wont live to see it.

@Reever 

Online shopping is no paradise either....What about the "porch pirates" that follow UPS, PRIME, and Fed Ex trucks around all day....Its getting to be a REAL problem....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

These happened last year...but maybe its taken more seriously here in Texas...... 

A man stole several steaks at an HEB Grocery Store here, and when an employee approached him, he threatened to shoot him, and the guy escaped on a public transit bus....Police are investigating and have him on video from the store's security camera...

There was another case A woman suspected of stealing hundreds of dollars worth of briskets, ribs and other meats is now charged with theft. 

According to arrest papers, Amanda McDonald was seen on surveillance video walking into an H-E-B store and loading a shopping cart with briskets, ribs, chicken, sausage and ribeye steaks. She also grabbed some potatoes and charcoal before walking out without paying for any of the food, court documents state.

An H-E-B employee asked her to return to the store and pay, but McDonald apparently refused, got into her car and drove off.

An arrest affidavit states McDonald has pulled off similar thefts at H-E-B stores all over the city. During a separate incident, store workers were able to take down McDonald's license plate information and she was eventually arrested. She is charged with theft.

A man who previously attempted to steal from H-E-B was charged with theft July 10 after trying it again.

According to an affidavit, Dale Cavazos, 37, was seen on store video camera putting items inside a cart. He tried to leave the store without paying, according to the footage.

As Cavazos attempted to exit the store an employee asked to see his receipt. When he could not provide one he immediately dropped the items, left the store and jumped into a car that was waiting outside.  Police think the same getaway car may have been used in another theft case with a different suspect.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Well I recently posted how people don’t get prosecuted or given much time anymore.

Not everyone agreed...I’ll leave it at that.

I keep hearing the term, “catch and release”.  Whatever that means.

I know there are places I won’t mention where people caught in a crime do not have to post bail...they’re released..

Don’t believe me?  Google it.