Trusted Contributor

Re: Shoplifting Getting More Bold

First bail isn't suppose to be punishment. You shouldn't sit in jail for some low lever beef because you can't pay bail.

The real problem here in NY is there's no judicial discretion, they just gave a long list of crimes where there would be no bail and that's it. The judge can't take any other factors into account.

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

Some areas of the country will not prosecute shoplifters.  If the items stolen are worth less than $900.00 I think.  There are videos of people with armfuls of clothes walking right out of a Marshall's.  The stores will not call police because there is nothing they can do.  It is very disturbing and unfair to business owners.  

isn't California, a leader in "looking the other way", in this kind of shoplifting? no prosecution what so ever.

@10sluvr, currently in California, if your shoplifting amounts to less than $950, it is a misdemeanor charge; if over $950, it's a felony charge.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ @Annabelle   I live in Massachusetts I too don't have to google it.

Honored Contributor

Who ends up paying for all these losses?  Sure they can be written off by retailers as losses, but not all of it.

So, it would appear to me prices go up and you and I pay for it.  

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ @Annabelle   I live in Massachusetts I too don't have to google it.

@Junebug54   I have family on the north shore. Love it up there.

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

I have also witnessed shoplifting. I saw a woman stuffing food into her purse

in a grocery store and reported it. Don't know if anything was done about it.

No matter if the item was 50 cents or worth 20 dollars, it is a crime and they

do need to be stopped because it will just continue. Get a thrill each time that

they get away with it.

I read in our newspaper probably early last year that at a McDonalds a customer

asked for a paper cup for water and they gave it to the guy. They witnessed

him filing it up with soda and he was arrested for taking something he was

not paying for. Charges against him were filed. 

I think thats a bit extreme.  Unless it happened dpzens and dozens of times --  stealing sods?  Really ?

Honored Contributor

@Reever When you take something you did NOT pay for, it's called "STEALING"!! and is against the law.

Regular Contributor

I worked at a convience store for 7 years.  Our shoplifting was gas drive offs.  Once I called the police for a 2.00 gas drive off. He was back in about 5 min. and paid for it.  One was sitting about 2 miles down the road and pulled him over and told him to go back and pay for his gas.  This was when gas was around 80 cents a gallon.

If I could get their plates I would.  Another time the store installed a big rack of cigarettes behind us and some guy came in and reached around the corner and stole a bunch.  My co worker was going to go out and get the plate number but another customer said he had a gun so we just took that as a loss.

People are just so bold.  I walked out of Walmart once and a card I had gotten for our anniversay had fallen into a place that I did not see.  Needless to say it bothered me for days and I just couldn't give it to him even though it was a couple of bucks. But that's me.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband needed new athletic shoes recently but hates to shop so when I was in Kohls I decided to pick out 3 or 4 pairs and put them on my charge then return what he didn't want. I picked up a box of Nikes in his size and opened it only to find an old pair of loafers. When I found a sales associate and showed her, she was very unimpressed and said people do this a lot - she said they average 4 or 5 pairs of shoes stolen every day! I cannot believe they don't put those censor devices on each pair and deactivate it at checkout. 

Valued Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

This whole world is turning in to a bunch of losers. They need a good swift kick in the butt. They'd rather steal then go out and just get a job like the rest of us. Can't even imagine what it's going to be like in the next 5-10 years, if that. There's a lot more I'd like to say, but I'd get poofed real quick.

ITA there are a lot of things I'd like to say but I'll just keep them to myself.