Esteemed Contributor

Re: Remove: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

@SilleeMee wrote:

Imo, cursive writing is like the abacus...it's outdated and has no functional purpose any more.

@SilleeMee  I totally agree with you.I don’t think it should be mandatory.With the use of computers, texting etc. the world is evolving.Cursive is no longer a necessity, it’s become an option. So is going to the library.

For example when I was a kid in school & later in college I spent a lot of time in the library borrowing books & doing research for papers.My son hasn’t been to a library since middle school. He either orders books online or downloads them onto his laptop.He does all of his research on line.He says he gets more information that way then he would get at the library.

I have a friend who’s a librarian.She said that these days aside from the lectures & movies they show, most people come in to use their computers.Very rarely do adults or even kids come to check out books.That saddens me but it’s become the new normal.

Honored Contributor

Re: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

@Cakers3 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Not Last Will & Testaments or other Estate planning documents.  As a Texas Paralegal the Testator, 2 Witnesses and the Notary must all sign in preferably blue ink in the presence of each other.  The legal profession prefers blue ink due to it more apparently that the document is an original and not a copy.

@beckyb1012   Also DNR forms.  The signature must be witnessed outside of family members and any health care professional who deals with the person.

Correct @Cakers3 we have always advised to execute the DNR as part of the Estate planning process because the two witnesses and notary are already present.  I usually do the Notary portion but sometimes I am a witness for one of the other offices down the hall.  It can be a pain trying to locate that many people in small firms. But we all need actual pens and not computers for the execution. Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@jonbon 

I’m not sure about that..aren’t legal documents supposed to be signed in cursive?

The SAT and PSAT tests need to be signed in cursive and must match drivers licenses.

No, they don't. My son just took the SAT in March ...

Respected Contributor

@TexasMom1 

Well,  one thing the Texas State Board of Education got right.   So many more they didn't.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@jonbon 

I’m not sure about that..aren’t legal documents supposed to be signed in cursive?

The SAT and PSAT tests need to be signed in cursive and must match drivers licenses.

Most are electronically signed.  Or should I say - they can be e-signed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

[ Edited ]

I am a paralegal. A person's signature doesn't have to be in cursive. That is a big misconception. Your signature is your signature and it does not have to be in cursive. This includes legal documents, driver license, notarized documents, etc. By the way my son is in 4th grade now, but he learned cursive in 2nd grade but he prefers to write in print. It doesn't mean he has less values. I was taught cursive in school, but no longer use it. I too write in print.