Honored Contributor

Re: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

I can't speak for TX but I think the idea that schools in general no longer teach cursive is a strange myth that will not die.  Both my son in laws are teachers in different towns and they both say that cursive is part of the 2nd and 3rd grade curriculum and neither can remember getting student who couldn't write/read cursive...other than some kids with learning challenges.  And they do use in exactly the same way that we used it when we were all in school.    

Respected Contributor

Glad Texas has a robust budget to add this to the school day. Wonder what will be sacrificed so kids can read their grandparent's letters. I'm a grandparent and I dont write.letters and neither does anyone I know. Everything is done electronically today, including the signing of any legal documents.
While we're at it, we should also bring back Latin.
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree I work with a lot of young people
Many of them print only. The majority are making 6 figures at the start of their professional careers. Lacking the cursive skill is not one bit detrimental to them in life.
Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:
@chrystaltreeI work with a lot of young people
Many of them print only. The majority are making 6 figures at the start of their professional careers. Lacking the cursive skill is not one bit detrimental to them in life.

I don't know where you work but where I work, we use computers so there never is a reason for anyone to write any business documents or communications  in cursive.  I'm laughing even as I write that.  Sure, everyone even 70 year olds, print on our Post It' but that's because it's easier.  It's not because no one knows cursive.  Granted, once kids get out of elementary school, they don't need it in school because they are using computers and laptops but they learned it and like riding a bike, it's one of those things people don't forget it.  

Honored Contributor

I would hope the Family Bible, wedding guest register books, babies ect.... that have been in my family for decades upon decades will be enough for my dear granddaughter to want to read what is written.  Started by several Great, Great Grandmothers back are for now my responsibility to hold cherish dear for future generations of our family.  It may not have anything to do with $$ but it is may be about family and heart reading the history of the past.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Chrystaltree- I am talking about post its and notes, especially when we're in meetings. Although many employees bring their laptops to meetings and take notes electronically
Funny enough, when I really notice it is when we have sign up sheets for different activities posted on the community bulletin board .
Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:
Glad Texas has a robust budget to add this to the school day. Wonder what will be sacrificed so kids can read their grandparent's letters. I'm a grandparent and I dont write.letters and neither does anyone I know. Everything is done electronically today, including the signing of any legal documents.
While we're at it, we should also bring back Latin.

@bathina   Texas is only the latest state to bring cursive back.

Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Virginia, California, Florida and North Carolina have all passed laws before Texas.

As of yet, nothing has been said to be removed from the curriculum; in fact, cursive writing is not an hour long lesson and can fit in without the students suffering less instruction in math, reading, etc.

Cursive is still taught to children with dyslexia, however, 

There are benefits to learning cursive; the info is out there regarding coordination, logical process, and equating the letter with the sound as it is written.

As far as Latin, it is still offered.  There is a definite correlation between learning Latin, even if for one year, and an increase in SAT scores compared to students who took only French, Spanish, etc. in vocabulary and language arts.

The info is out there and that is why high schools still offer Latin.  My GS took advanced Latin for 2 years.  It is also a study of history and culture, not just conjugating verbs.

btw:  I still hand write my letters to my sister and handwrite my notes in cards.

It's a choice.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Man, some of you want the schools to teach everything. It's kind of ridiculous.

I think it's nice if they can find the time to teach cursive, but it's not the first on my list of priorities. They also need to be taught how to keep up with technology, which includes typing, creating presentations, and navigation of the web for research.

My son's school teaches cursive but not to the extent I was taught. He does know how to sign his name. I bet most of you rarely use cursive. I only use it to sign my name. If that skill is that important to you, then teach your kid at home.

@JJsMom It isn't as hard to teach cursive as you would think.  In day care and there after, if D'Nealian writing were taught there is no abrupt jump in learning creating a sharp curve for the student.

D'Nealian- The letters link together to form a word in cursive.

Image result for Denialian letters

The schools certainly should be teaching this.  It requires hand-eye coordination and dexterity which are life skills.

We want all children to have a rich education and writing is a basic step.

Unfortunately, there are many dysfunctional homes that children aren't taught which is beyond sad.  It seems the schools are possibly that child's only gateway to the future. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Remove: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Wiskota wrote:

What about signing your name?  How are they suppose to do that?

@Wiskota 

you can sign your name with a "swish," you can sign your name anyway you want to pretty much. it can be stylized in any way to make it more personal, if you wish.

for example:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/02/23/16/3D94132400000578-4253168-image-a-58_1487868927901.jpg

My son simply signs his name in printing—there is nothing that says things must be signed in cursive. 

Honored Contributor

I wonder who is going to teach the teachers cursive.  The younger teaches were never taught to read or write cursive either.