Respected Contributor

Re: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

Man, some of you want the schools to teach everything. It's kind of ridiculous.

I think it's nice if they can find the time to teach cursive, but it's not the first on my list of priorities. They also need to be taught how to keep up with technology, which includes typing, creating presentations, and navigation of the web for research.

My son's school teaches cursive but not to the extent I was taght. He does know how to sign his name. I bet most of you rarely use cursive. I only use it to sign my name. If that skill is that important to you, then teach your kid at home.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Love this @LTT1.  Texas just makes me happy every day.  Now if we can get Texas to start requiring again like when we were teenagers the driving test is with an actual State Trooper in the car and grading that would really make me happy.  This just take a course,  send in paperwork, and hit the highway is not sufficient.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:
@ECBG

IMO, there is no other way than phonics!👀
I taught DD by the phonics method when I visited her K class showing pictures of that dumb ... DUMB! Whole Language Method of learning to read!

@LTT1  Who EVER thought up dropping phonics should have lost their license.  We have a large number that were never taught correctly!

Honored Contributor

Re: Remove: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

@Wiskota wrote:

What about signing your name?  How are they suppose to do that?

@Wiskota 

you can sign your name with a "swish," you can sign your name anyway you want to pretty much. it can be stylized in any way to make it more personal, if you wish.

for example:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/02/23/16/3D94132400000578-4253168-image-a-58_1487868927901.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

At one time, penmanship was considered extremely important.  At  the Normal  College, for teachers, they had to  have  very  good handwriting , as part of their  credentials to teach

I don't know why? But it is true. Our teachers used to tell us this ,when we practiced or handwriting , in our penmanship  workbooks. So, I guess that is where the old fashioned values ,comes in

Valued Contributor

My son is a Senior in high school this year.  The school he went to started to teach curvise at the end of the second grade and into the third grade.  He was given a school issued laptop computer in the ninth grade.  When he does take pencil to paper it is a mixture of cursive and printing.  He has already written far less than I did by the time I was his age.  And, he's gonna be alright.      

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:
@ECBG

IMO, there is no other way than phonics!👀
I taught DD by the phonics method when I visited her K class showing pictures of that dumb ... DUMB! Whole Language Method of learning to read!

Not other way?  Hmmm, how ever did I Iearn to read without it?  Actually there are different ways to learn things.  Different people respond differently to each of those methods.  That was my beef with Common Core math. Instead of incorporating the new way, it became the only way and students were failed if they used the now obsolete way.  Personally, I still prefer long division over the new division also taught to me.  Even my skating coach understands that he has to change his method depending on how each student processes the information.  

As far as cursive goes, as someone who does genealogy, I would be lost without it.  At the very least, they should learn to read it.  When I was learning Russian a few years ago, we still learned how to write it in cursive and not just print, and I always did my work in cursive.  Sure, I can type it a lot faster, almost as fast as I can type English.

Honored Contributor

Cursive writing representing values...

here are a few reasons why I made this “jump” in my mind:

historical documents are are written in cursive

in order to read cursive, one must read

in order to write cursive, one must achieve a particular

motor skill, which in turn begets a creative artistic

ability (and appreciation)

Some studies have found that writing (as opposed to

typing) instills better learning 

IMO...writing cursive instills the value that going more

slowly and pondering our acts/what we write 

Is necessary and still useful in our society

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

I had occasion to read through some deed books from the early 20th century.........my goodness, the handwriting in these books was a thing of beauty.

It's important to learn cursive.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

At one time, penmanship was considered extremely important.  At  the Normal  College, for teachers, they had to  have  very  good handwriting , as part of their  credentials to teach

I don't know why? But it is true. Our teachers used to tell us this ,when we practiced or handwriting , in our penmanship  workbooks. So, I guess that is where the old fashioned values ,comes in

I remember having a couple of different teachers tell our class that good penmanship and neatness also lead to better grades.  Both stated that sloppy messy papers the mistakes just jumped off the page to their face.  While it was harder to locate mistakes on clean, neat, "pretty" papers.  I tried so hard to be neat but my wrong answers were always found.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."