Super Contributor

Re: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

Cursive is important.  I teach an adult continuing class.  When I write notes on the students' papers, I have been asked to read it to them as the younger ones cannot read cursive. 

These are students who are going on for higher education!  Not everything is done on a computer, and it never will be.

i

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can't speak for TX but I think the idea that schools in general no longer teach cursive is a strange myth that will not die.  Both my son in laws are teachers in different towns and they both say that cursive is part of the 2nd and 3rd grade curriculum and neither can remember getting student who couldn't write/read cursive...other than some kids with learning challenges.  And they do use in exactly the same way that we used it when we were all in school.    

Excerpt from NYT article on April 13, 2019:  (emphasis added):

Nearly two dozen states have reintroduced cursive instruction since 2010, when the Common Core standards dropped a requirement that it be taught in elementary schools.

Divisions remains over the need to learn cursive with "millennial teachers" particularly seeing little benefit to cursive writing ability.  In many states the decision to teach cursive or not is left to districts or even individual schools or teachers.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@bathina 

I agree...Latin 1/2 semester should be added.

Latin increases understanding on the SAT test.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Remove: Score 1 for old-fashioned “values” cursive ✍️

@jonbon 

I’m not sure about that..aren’t legal documents supposed to be signed in cursive?

The SAT and PSAT tests need to be signed in cursive and must match drivers licenses.

Honored Contributor

Legal documents do not have to be signed in cursive. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Legal documents do not have to be signed in cursive. 

correct.....they just have to be "signed" if on paper with whatever your signature looks like. it could be a straight line with two dots on top if that is your signature.

many legal documents are now just signed electronically.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Not Last Will & Testaments or other Estate planning documents.  As a Texas Paralegal the Testator, 2 Witnesses and the Notary must all sign in preferably blue ink in the presence of each other.  The legal profession prefers blue ink due to it more apparently that the document is an original and not a copy.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I picture students toiling over handwriting and this would be wrong, IMO.

Just my opinion, but in the nearby high school where I taught, classes are 90 minutes long.  

Imagine if schools had to spend 90 minutes requiring handwriting sessions for students!

Our hs offers Latin, and same issue...

instead of this being a “get acquainted with the roots of the English language”  course ... it has been turned into  a mandatory “speak fluent Latin” course. 

Teachers are required to fill 90 minutes every other day, no matter what the course material may be. 

90 minutes is way more time than is necessary for most courses, IMO.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Not Last Will & Testaments or other Estate planning documents.  As a Texas Paralegal the Testator, 2 Witnesses and the Notary must all sign in preferably blue ink in the presence of each other.  The legal profession prefers blue ink due to it more apparently that the document is an original and not a copy.

@beckyb1012   Also DNR forms.  The signature must be witnessed outside of family members and any health care professional who deals with the person.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

I picture toiling over handwriting and this is wrong, IMO.

Just my opinion, but in the nesrby high school where I taught, classes are 90 minutes long.  Imagine schools spending 90 minutes requiring handwriting sessions for students!

Our hs offers Latin, and same issue... instead of this being a “get acquainted with the roots of the English language”  course ... it turns into  a mandatory “speak fluent Latin” course. Teachers are required to fill 90 minutes every other day, no matter what course material. 

It is way more than necessary for most courses, IMO.

@LTT190 minutes to learn cursvie???  I never heard of that.

And Latin isn't taught to speak Latin; it's taught as a root language and also as a history/culture lesson.

As I said earlier, Latin isn't all about conjugating verbs.

Also-cursive was never taught everyday, in my experience. 

People keep thinking learning cursive kills the time spent learning math, tech, etc.

That is not true.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh