Esteemed Contributor

I have purchased king crab, and salmon from Alaska.

Worth every single penny that I spent.

Esteemed Contributor

Ever since I saw this thread, I have been craving sea scallops.

Trusted Contributor

Scallops are probably my favorite seafood Smiley Happy

I purchase mine wild caught from Whole Foods. I think they are $20 for not even a full pound.  But so well worth it Smiley Happy

And like others, I would never even think of purchasing farm raised anything.  Ick!!

I am very guilty of purchasing crab cakes from the Q.  The best ones I've recently purchased was from Graham and Rollins.  Sweet, no shells, hardly any filler - mostly crab meat....and not over seasoned.  You can taste the sweet crab - sooo good!  The only other crab cake I love is Bobby Chez.  Why Q doesn't carry them anymore is beyond me.  Another good vendor lost Smiley Sad  But the ones that Graham and Rollins sells are really, really good. 

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Shoekitty said

me too!!    I just purchased some salmon from alaska online.  It is worth the money.  I cannot find anyhing but farmed salmon the last 11 months or so.  What happened.  Whole foods has some for the first time in a while, it was 39.@ lb.  it didnt not even look very fresh for that money.  So i would rather get flash frozen on the boat from alaska. Even if it is expensive.  We cant eat it that often, but when we do it is such a succulent treat. Butter from the ocean!  Lol

Respected Contributor

Scallops are my favorite food!

I've shared this before, but, I grew up in New England, so never gave a thought to the freshness of seafood. It was just always available!

We had a cottage on Cape Cod while we were growing up, and sometimes in the Fall, a neighbor would be out on his boat dragging for scallops.

I remember him giving me one to hold in my hand, and all along the membranes were beautiful, sparkly blue eyes. So pretty!

There are Scallops Fests on the Cape, always in September, if anyone wants to visit N.E.!

Smiley Happy

1.jpe

2.jpe

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

Re: SEA SCALLOPS....

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

Scallops are my weakness.  I found a fishery in Alaska and that's where I get mine.  They are almost $30 per pound and worth every penny to me once or twice a year.  I also buy salmon and halibut from them.  

Local grocery stores offer these seafood items.  Many are more expensive and others have been re-frozen, water added, etc, which change the flavor.  

There are a lot of other expensive foods and products I can easily live without.  But I choose to splurge once or twice a year on good quality scallops.

@CalminHeart, will you please refer me to the Alaskan company where you buy your scallops/salmon.  I looked online and there are many to choose from.  What size do you recommend: bay, large, jumbo, diver, giant?  Do you like Copper River salmon the best?

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Shoekitty said

me too!!    I just purchased some salmon from alaska online.  It is worth the money.  I cannot find anyhing but farmed salmon the last 11 months or so.  What happened.  Whole foods has some for the first time in a while, it was 39.@ lb.  it didnt not even look very fresh for that money.  So i would rather get flash frozen on the boat from alaska. Even if it is expensive.  We cant eat it that often, but when we do it is such a succulent treat. Butter from the ocean!  Lol

@shoekitty  Will you please refer me to the Alaskan company where you buy your salmon and which salmon you specifically buy.  I looked online and there are many companies to choose from.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

Scallops are my weakness.  I found a fishery in Alaska and that's where I get mine.  They are almost $30 per pound and worth every penny to me once or twice a year.  I also buy salmon and halibut from them.  

Local grocery stores offer these seafood items.  Many are more expensive and others have been re-frozen, water added, etc, which change the flavor.  

There are a lot of other expensive foods and products I can easily live without.  But I choose to splurge once or twice a year on good quality scallops.

@CalminHeart, will you please refer me to the Alaskan company where you buy your scallops/salmon.  I looked online and there are many to choose from.  What size do you recommend: bay, large, jumbo, diver, giant?  Do you like Copper River salmon the best?

The website is great-alaska-seafood.  I have thoroughly enjoyed everything I've purchased.  Superb quality!!   I don't have anything negative to say about them or their products.  

They offer super colossal and colossal scallops that are 100% dry. I usually get the colossal.  

I love their salmon filets.  Copper River is outstanding!  I also love Kalgin Island King Salmon or Kalgin Island Sockeye.  Their salmon burger is very good too!  

Their halibut filets are excellent.  

I'm sure anything you buy will be wonderful.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Big Sister wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

The website is great-alaska-seafood.  I have thoroughly enjoyed everything I've purchased.  Superb quality!!   I don't have anything negative to say about them or their products.  

They offer super colossal and colossal scallops that are 100% dry. I usually get the colossal.  

I love their salmon filets.  Copper River is outstanding!  I also love Kalgin Island King Salmon or Kalgin Island Sockeye.  Their salmon burger is very good too!  

Their halibut filets are excellent.  

I'm sure anything you buy will be wonderful.

@CalminHeart

That's the company that I use too.

I have always had superb quality from them.

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield wrote:

I got some at Wegmans the other day and they were $16.99 for a pound.  They were good though!

I buy mine at Wegman's too. They are $19.99 a lb here.  They  so large and fresh and worth it.  

My DH and I get about 8 each...two seafood dinners for $20 is a great price.