Honored Contributor

Houston to receive 50+ inches of rain...

[ Edited ]

For those that live near or around Houston...ie, @QVCPhobe

Currently they have ONLY received 24-27"...it will continue to rain through Friday or after...

I have no words...just prayers for those effected.

Latest news link HERE

Honored Contributor

Re: Houston to receive 50+ inches of rain...

It's terrible to hear that many of the residents of the flooded areas were not under mandatory evacuation! I just heard on the news that many residents were just under the impression that it could never happen to them because they come from generations of living in the area and never had this much water. The images I'm seeing on the news have left me speechless.

Honored Contributor

Are you aware that Houston is the 4th largest city in the nation?  If you look at weather radar you see all the surrounding cities are also affected.  When do you think that many people could go in an evacuation?  Where do you put them?  How do you feed them and provide medical services?  This would be a long-term situation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's terrible to hear that many of the residents of the flooded areas were not under mandatory evacuation! I just heard on the news that many residents were just under the impression that it could never happen to them because they come from generations of living in the area and never had this much water. The images I'm seeing on the news have left me speechless.

@SilleeMee  I keep getting flashbacks of the Katrina insanity as it unfolded. The worst began about 3-5 days after the worst of the storm passed. This storm has barely hit the halfway point.

I'm picturing unknown number of a population running out of food/water...cut off from thier meds...and that just skims the surface. Nevermind the logistics to try and do anything.

I saw a report by CNN this morning that said there is nothing left in Rockport. To those that live there, that is the least of their worries...they need to be concerned with taking care of themselves because going back to Rockport is like going back in history over 100 yrs in time.

I can't imagine what won't be under water in Houston by Friday...

We are surely seeing an historic event unfold to the likes of nothing else. This surely will surpass Katrina on sq miles and population effected.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMeeyou're talking about upwards of 5 to 7 million people.  a logistical nightmare/impossibility to evacuate in a few hours.  the mayor of Victoria was just on, he issued a mandatory evacuation and most people stayed.  all did know from Thursday on that they were due a hurricane and prolonged rain and flooding for several days.  hopefully the human cost will be low.  the damage to property can be dealt with. i am seeing a lot of people -Nat'l Guard, neighbors, first respondersin boats, skiffs, helicopters - doing an amazing job of rescuing.  i read that Cali, Missouri, Maryland, Pa, NY and others have task force teams on the way.  and i am sure that help is coming from other cities in Texas.

Honored Contributor

This sounds crazy but I think there needs to be some kind of effort made to shelter mass numbers of people in structures in and around vulnerable cities. I know this would cost billions but what are the alternatives?

Respected Contributor

Residents of a flooded assisted living home in southeast Texas before their rescue on Sunday. (Timothy J. McIntosh)

This is the photo that got to me  .... an assisted-living nursing home in TX.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Are you aware that Houston is the 4th largest city in the nation?  If you look at weather radar you see all the surrounding cities are also affected.  When do you think that many people could go in an evacuation?  Where do you put them?  How do you feed them and provide medical services?  This would be a long-term situation. 

@Kachina624  Are you really trying to give me a geography lesson? I don't live in a cave and I do watch the news regularly, and I know my geography much more than most Smiley Wink

I didn't think I needed to type Houston 'area' and most folks could figure it out based upon googling for more info or watching the news for surrounding locations/towns on the outskirts.

I started this thread based upon Houston and the article I read and shared the link.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We got about 10 inches of rain within a couple of days something like 15 years ago.  My basement had about 6 inches of water in it, and we're on a steep hill.  One major highway in particular was so flooded that people driving into the city for work just turned around and went home.  They would have reached work at the end of the day, being stuck about 30 minutes out of the city.  I can't imagine how bad five times that amount would be, especially if you're not in a hilly area.  Where I live we're up on a hill, and it's like nested hills all the way down to the ocean about a half mile away.  This means a lot of that water cleared out of our neighborhood and rolled down the hill.  Are these areas relatively flat? 

Oh my God, seabreeze.  That photo is horrifying.  I hope they can rescue these people very soon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The residents of the assisted living center were rescued after the picture went viral. Unbelievable.

I hope they got the kitties, too.