Regular Contributor

Re: SAFETY ON THE NEW FORUMS

I have been on several ProBoard forums since 2005 and have never had a problem of any kind.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I gave no one my phone number.  No one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@BalletBabe  You can do all that but st buill can be tracked easy enough by the phone number you have to give to get an email.  You can use fake name and birthdate but cannot get around the legitimate phone number unless you get a burner phone.  Still not sure about the security of such sites that are easy to set up and that is where those wanting to hack go.  I stated in a previous post here that I know 2 people that it happened to.  Both had posted in a small forum and someone on there took to disagreeing with them vehemently and then started emailing them and got their phone number tnrough the fake email they set up and then found their address and they started getting hate mail.  

@Pook   I gave no one my phone number.  

Esteemed Contributor

@decaf wrote:

Oh great, I used my real information including DOB.  I checked, only your email address can be changed. Maybe I should delete the account and register again. What do you think?

@decaf   If you don't feel safe then redo it. 

Honored Contributor

So, just to clarify, and please bear with me, I am very new to this making up things genre, To join the new board and have safety insured I should

Make up an email address such as one with G mail, but do I have to register it with G mail?

I should give a fake first and last name, do they ask for a last name?

I should give a fake birth date, 

Is there anything else they will ask, besides a screen name TIA. 

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe Could you tell me how you got a seperate fake name email without giving a phone number because all the secure free email sites require a legit phone number?

Honored Contributor

@cuddles wrote:

I have been on several ProBoard forums since 2005 and have never had a problem of any kind.Smiley Happy

I was on a Proboards forum a few years ago. Someone from here set it up and it was problem free. No spam,

no issues. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@BalletBabe Could you tell me how you got a seperate fake name email without giving a phone number because all the secure free email sites require a legit phone number?

@Pook   It is a separate email.  It comes to me, but it is only used for certain things.  I don't use it for anything other then YouTube etc.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Google's gmail didn't ask me for a phone number.   

I haven't used it yet.  The email that is.

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Thank you for the above information @BalletBabe.

I do have a question with regard to ProBoards...If signed in and in a particular thread when clicking on the Action tab, it appears we can send a post to Facebook, as well as several other social media platforms. 

I have read many posters want nothing to do with Facebook. Is this a security/privacy concern?

@magicmoodz   FaceBook is not safe.  I would not click on it.  If I go from one site to another, I always sign out of one before going to another.   Hope that makes sense. Think of Face Book like Google.  They track your every move.