Esteemed Contributor

I have a few family members in criminal law.  Here are some steps to be safe when on ANY forum.

1.  Use a different email address then you use for your everyday things. I have a gmail account that I only use for forums and sometimes for ordering from a strange company.

2.  DO NOT use your real name when signing up.  First name is ok but not last name.

3.  Always check the address bar and make sure there is a lock on it.

4.  Be careful not to talk about where your kids go to school or where you work or your husband work. 

5.   Clear your cookies and Cache' often.

6.  Do not use your real Birth Date

If you already signed up , You can delete and change things.

I personally think the new board seems safe.  Most of the subjects here are also over there. You can look around as a guest, but from what I hear that will change.  There ia also a thread about how to do things.  Most of the people that hunghere are also over there.   Hope this helps!   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SAFETY ON THE NEW FORUMS

[ Edited ]

IF YOU ARE ON TWITCH   

Data Breach Notification 

Data Breach of Twitch Streaming Service Confirmed 

Why am I receiving this?
You are receiving this notification because a data breach was publicly announced. If we detect your personal information on the dark web, we’ll send you a notification.

What Happened?
The Twitch streaming service has confirmed a data breach, which reportedly includes their source code, creator payouts, and possible leak of users’ passwords. Read more.

What should I do about it?
Twitch users are urged to change their passwords as a preventative measure. This information, if exposed, could lead to other vulnerabilities putting personal information at risk. These customers could be targeted with spam, phishing attempts, identity theft, and more.

Your existing plan includes Dark Web Monitoring. Within your account, you can provide information such as your name, email, addresses, phone number, credit cards, and more for us to monitor. If we detect your personal information on the dark web, we’ll send you a notification.

Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe

That's really good info. Thanks for all of that. I know people have worked really hard to get the new board up & running, but I'm just going to say goodbye to this one & then that's it. I'm not very tech savvy & I'm just so leery about things online nowadays. I wish everyone good health & lots of happiness.
Esteemed Contributor

@bobby5 wrote:
@BalletBabe

That's really good info. Thanks for all of that. I know people have worked really hard to get the new board up & running, but I'm just going to say goodbye to this one & then that's it. I'm not very tech savvy & I'm just so leery about things online nowadays. I wish everyone good health & lots of happiness.

@bobby5  Ahhhhhh  I am sorry.   You can always join later if you decide. 

Esteemed Contributor

Why do my posts come out with that large print?   Weird

Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe

Thanks friend❤
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe  You can do all that but st buill can be tracked easy enough by the phone number you have to give to get an email.  You can use fake name and birthdate but cannot get around the legitimate phone number unless you get a burner phone.  Still not sure about the security of such sites that are easy to set up and that is where those wanting to hack go.  I stated in a previous post here that I know 2 people that it happened to.  Both had posted in a small forum and someone on there took to disagreeing with them vehemently and then started emailing them and got their phone number tnrough the fake email they set up and then found their address and they started getting hate mail.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

***UPDATE~oops sorry @BalletBabe wrote this before reading your whole thread, and your post that said you can change things...I'll read on and see if I understand how to do it. Tks!

@BalletBabe When I signed up I didn't love putting in that info, but felt I had no choice.

My question given your good advice here, is can I edit my profile page now? I looked and didn't see where I could.

If anyone knows if this can be done and how, please post here.

Years ago I used to use an old hotmail account I don't use, can't even remember how to get in there, but it only had tons of junk mail in it. Only problem in that now is that sometimes a new place sends a link you have to "confirm" and I don't recall how to get into the hotmail anymore. However, I also have a gmail account I don't use I could use.  I'm always thinking I should switch to gmail myself instead of my current account, since it's the more updated one everyone uses...so I've kept it "clean" so far in case I do that.

Anyway, if anyone knows if I can edit my info after the fact at the new boards please post. Tks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

That is why I continue to prefer remaining with corporate sponsored boards, though they are dwindling in numbers.  There are downfalls, but I believe they are more secure and have professional,  non-posting moderators.   My personal preferences,  of course.

Trusted Contributor

Oh great, I used my real information including DOB.  I checked, only your email address can be changed. Maybe I should delete the account and register again. What do you think?