Trusted Contributor

Re: SAFETY ON THE NEW FORUMS

@amyb  I just posted I did the same as you.  When I checked only the email can be changed, not DOB.   I'm thinking to delete the account and reregister.  But all the info is still there forever anyway, right?

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@BalletBabe  You can do all that but st buill can be tracked easy enough by the phone number you have to give to get an email.  You can use fake name and birthdate but cannot get around the legitimate phone number unless you get a burner phone.  Still not sure about the security of such sites that are easy to set up and that is where those wanting to hack go.  I stated in a previous post here that I know 2 people that it happened to.  Both had posted in a small forum and someone on there took to disagreeing with them vehemently and then started emailing them and got their phone number tnrough the fake email they set up and then found their address and they started getting hate mail.  

@Pook   @BalletBabe   ProBoards did not ask for a phone #.  I just checked again, and they don't ask for one.  You don't have to put a birthday of any kind in at ProBoards unless you want to.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the above information @BalletBabe.

I do have a question with regard to ProBoards...If signed in and in a particular thread when clicking on the Action tab, it appears we can send a post to Facebook, as well as several other social media platforms. 

I have read many posters want nothing to do with Facebook. Is this a security/privacy concern?

Esteemed Contributor

Boy it's so scary in the World Wide Web. I am so hesitant to move on. I'm on instagram and I think this will be enough for me. I will truly miss these forums. 

Trusted Contributor

@godi  Instagram is owned by Facebook (in case you did not know).

Esteemed Contributor

Because all moderators at the new board have access to our email addresses, is it possible they could be sold? 

Esteemed Contributor

As with everything,  your comfort level is driven by your trust of those with power who are in charge.

I created an account and after some thought deleted it the next day.

My perusal of the forums raised my discomfort with the type and availability of information to multiple viewers and users.

To each his/her own.

I do applaud everyone involved for their efforts. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe - I started the process of making an account at Proboards, but when I read their privacy agreement, I realized that Proboards not only actively monitors the content, they sell and share the content with whomever they please, and they even employ geolocation tracking of all members making posts on their forum, which can lead to the reporting of members to authorities, due to the content of their comments.  That spooked me.  Right now in our own country, a terrible idea is being promoted in the mainstream media that parents who dare to speak out at School Board meetings against certain topics should be labeled "domestic terrorists". I never thought I would see that day, but here we are. As a result, I am not sure I will finish my registration at Proboards.  

If any comment written at Proboards is deemed "controversial" today, in the near future that same comment might be deemed "reportable to authorities" by Proboards.  I think I am done with "social media".  

I will miss many people here at the Q forums, though. It was a lovely community for the most part.  Ideas should be able to be freely shared.     

Trusted Contributor

@amyb wrote:

***UPDATE~oops sorry @BalletBabe wrote this before reading your whole thread, and your post that said you can change things...I'll read on and see if I understand how to do it. Tks!

@BalletBabe When I signed up I didn't love putting in that info, but felt I had no choice.

My question given your good advice here, is can I edit my profile page now? I looked and didn't see where I could.

If anyone knows if this can be done and how, please post here.

Years ago I used to use an old hotmail account I don't use, can't even remember how to get in there, but it only had tons of junk mail in it. Only problem in that now is that sometimes a new place sends a link you have to "confirm" and I don't recall how to get into the hotmail anymore. However, I also have a gmail account I don't use I could use.  I'm always thinking I should switch to gmail myself instead of my current account, since it's the more updated one everyone uses...so I've kept it "clean" so far in case I do that.

Anyway, if anyone knows if I can edit my info after the fact at the new boards please post. Tks in advance.

Yes you can edit.  I just did with no problem what so ever.  

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

Oh great, I used my real information including DOB.  I checked, only your email address can be changed. Maybe I should delete the account and register again. What do you think?

@decaf : delete the account and start another using a different birth year.  Make youself younger. ;-)