Honored Contributor

Re: SAFETY ON THE NEW FORUMS

@BalletBabe   Now I am more confused than ever.  I have 3 email addresses used for different things but every one of them required a legit phone number.  One gmail, another verizon and the other that I use for just about everything is my original one when dial up was around through atlantic bb now.  I have tried getting another gmail and AOL and both need that phone number.  There are some free email sites that on checking them out do not seem real secure.

Honored Contributor

I was on proboards for over 10 years on another forum and never had a problem.

Funny, the only issues I’ve ever had is Target and FB. FB accounts are notorious for getting hacked. I’ve even had a couple of creepy online guys stalking me years ago on FB. (Online, not in person.)

I guarantee your online presence already exists just from being here. Your posts are also on Google. This board is not private.

The Proboards forum is supposed to change to require membership even to read after this one closes.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook   If you have a good anti virus it will catch that stuff.  I use Google as my junk mail.   Never open Spam mail.  I know it is a pain but you just have to be careful these days.  Seriously, How do we know QVC has not passed our information along?    We don't.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@BalletBabe Could you tell me how you got a seperate fake name email without giving a phone number because all the secure free email sites require a legit phone number?

Google's gmail didn't ask me for a phone number.   

I haven't used it yet.  The email that is.

Yes, I used Google also.  They do not require a phone number.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

So, just to clarify, and please bear with me, I am very new to this making up things genre, To join the new board and have safety insured I should

Make up an email address such as one with G mail, but do I have to register it with G mail?

I should give a fake first and last name, do they ask for a last name?

I should give a fake birth date, 

Is there anything else they will ask, besides a screen name TIA. 

1.  You have no safety insured ANYWHERE on the internet in my opinion.

2.  Proboards needs an active E-mail because they send you an activation code using that E-mail, so you can't just make one up out of the air using .gmail.

3.  Birthdate is only used to make sure you are old enough to use the boards.  It says on the page it asks for it what that age is.  You can use whatever you want.  It should be hidden in your profile and if it's not you can change it to hidden.  

4. They do not ask for a name.  The only other thing besides E-mail, a Username, and birdate is gender and there is an option not to provide that.

5.  You need to go directly to the board you want to join to register which is mellyg.proboards.com.  You can't just register into Proboards.  You would have to go through some sort of registration process should you find another board on Proboards you wanted to join. 

Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

Boy it's so scary in the World Wide Web. I am so hesitant to move on. I'm on instagram and I think this will be enough for me. I will truly miss these forums. 

@godi   Instagram is not safe.  The pro boards are more likely safer.  

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Because all moderators at the new board have access to our email addresses, is it possible they could be sold? 

@magicmoodz   Anything is possible but that is why you don't use your main e-mail.

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Thank you for the above information @BalletBabe.

I do have a question with regard to ProBoards...If signed in and in a particular thread when clicking on the Action tab, it appears we can send a post to Facebook, as well as several other social media platforms. 

I have read many posters want nothing to do with Facebook. Is this a security/privacy concern?

I read that yesterday @magicmoodz . Also something about them picking out some conversation (once a month?) they feel merits sharing with a wider audience, and linking or posting it to some other sites. I suppose it's to attract new members to their own forum. 

In signing up we learned QVC owns and can do as they wish with everything we ever write. So I suppose the user terms are much the same on proboards.

Everybody will eventually make their own choices.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@BalletBabe Could you tell me how you got a seperate fake name email without giving a phone number because all the secure free email sites require a legit phone number?

Google's gmail didn't ask me for a phone number.   

I haven't used it yet.  The email that is.

Yes, I used Google also.  They do not require a phone number.

I HAD to set up a Gmail account to be able to use my Android phone.  That's the only reason I have one.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

So, just to clarify, and please bear with me, I am very new to this making up things genre, To join the new board and have safety insured I should

Make up an email address such as one with G mail, but do I have to register it with G mail?

I should give a fake first and last name, do they ask for a last name?

I should give a fake birth date, 

Is there anything else they will ask, besides a screen name TIA. 

@Shelbelle