Respected Contributor

Re: SAFETY ON THE NEW FORUMS

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

Wow....855!  There must have been quite a few people just reading the Q boards.

That is a lot of customers the Q could potentially lose or have their spending cut way back.

@Mersha  855 is not even a drop in the bucket of Q customers. As I pisted elsewhere. Q has millions of customers and only a tiny fraction of them are on this board.

@Pearlee   True but if each person spent $100/month at the Q, with more signing up every day, that would cut into the bottom line.  I know it is not much.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Mersha, Quite a few signed up since last night. I was on there playing some games until I got sleepy. I imagine there will be some loss. Sadly, It is clear that it does not  matter to them.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

Wow....855!  There must have been quite a few people just reading the Q boards.

That is a lot of customers the Q could potentially lose or have their spending cut way back.

@Mersha  855 is not even a drop in the bucket of Q customers. As I pisted elsewhere. Q has millions of customers and only a tiny fraction of them are on this board.

@Pearlee   True but if each person spent $100/month at the Q, with more signing up every day, that would cut into the bottom line.  I know it is not much.

@Mersha 

my guess is that a number of people.....more than we may think......were no longer QVC customers anyways. there are lots of people on these boards that always say they stopped buying from QVC years ago. some only use it for background noise when it is on their tv.

also, not all of us are giving up QVC. i am a regular customer and will still be shopping AND using the 5 facebook groups also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I just deleted mine. I'm gonna set up another Email address and etc.

@decaf wrote:

Oh great, I used my real information including DOB.  I checked, only your email address can be changed. Maybe I should delete the account and register again. What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re Proboards:

I think the only reason they need your birthday is to make sure you are old enough to be on the boards.  I don't remember what that minimum age is.  Use whatever you want.  And it should default to hiding it as with most other personal info which can be changed in your Profile.  To edit your profile, you go to Profile in the blue bar and the box that comes up over on the right there is a button to Edit your profile.  There are several tabs that come up at that point.

Several years ago I set up a junk E-mail that I use for all online activities knowing that every online company I do business with was going to be sending me E-mails.  Ifl you have an E-mail, you have provided you phone number to them.  If you trust the company, then just set up a separate E-mail with that comany.  I have 2 yahoo accounts.  None of my E-mail accounts have my actual name in them.

You don't have to provide your name to ste up an account on ProBoards.

The intent is not to shut the boards down to a point someone can't find them in the future.  The plan is to make only the categories visible so someone can decide if that is the type of content they are interested in joining.  I don't think having q in the title shoulld be a concern once someone checks out the categories for discussion.

It is a work in progress since people joined and started using it before even the different categories had been set up, and the moderators are learning how to use it along with everybody else.

There was a desire and we are doing our bests to provide that since we wanted to enjoy it too.  The other options mentioned didn't work for me.  I didn't want an E-mail forum and I can't sign into Delphi since I don't remember my password from long ago and they didn't send me a new one via Forgot Password.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

That is why I continue to prefer remaining with corporate sponsored boards, though they are dwindling in numbers.  There are downfalls, but I believe they are more secure and have professional,  non-posting moderators.   My personal preferences,  of course.

Then I guess we won't be seeing ya

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Because all moderators at the new board have access to our email addresses, is it possible they could be sold? 

@magicmoodz  Absolutely 100% NO!! We would never do that. We are your friends from this forum. We just wanted to recreate the community we had here & make it better.For that matter you can say that about the mods here.

As far as the concern about individual privacy . Everyone can decide for themselves the level of privacy they want & lock it in through their personal accounts.

@NicksmomESQ, First of all, I think what you have done is admirable, trying to keep everyone together.

Perhaps if people are worried about the safety of their information, they are not worried about you, rather on the entity that created this site.  These sites promote themselves as “free.”  Well, call me jaded, nothing is free.  Someone wants information to sell to you.  

Trusted Contributor

I signed up and I have no problem with anything that was asked.  For those that are sketchy, be advised anything that you have signed up for, are looking at, browsing, purchased, are a member on (including shoping websites-amazon being a big one) etc...already have your info period. 

There have been so many breaches over the internet years, companies buying, taking over other companies-merging, and just plain sale of your data that has been done that you can sit here and tell me "oh no it has NEVER happened to me" .  Just because your bank account or cc or something was not abused doesn't mean for one minute that your info has not been spread/sold.  Anytime you buy anything now, your info is logged online.   Not all data sales are for stealing $$.  They harvest info for their sales, customer profiles, ads etc.  Heck just using the grocery store checkouts they harvest your data.  All your purchases, amounts you've spent, how you paid, etc.  And that is why at this point I have no fear.  I watch my accounts, and I know when something is wrong.  You are not giving any financial data over there and again I can guarantee your info is already out there. 

The IRS was breached at one time, banks, CC companies, websites (and btw you would be surprised at how connected different websites are to another and yes they share data).  But if you are scared, stop and think about all those QVC ads that pop up on other places you are looking at and think about how that happens-just saying.  You as safe there as you are here.  Period.  

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess   Yes - the new board host wants to ensure a user is at least 13 years of age - that is the reason for  DOB. You can use any DOB you like (just not 2009!).

As far as the T&C - well just about any site one registers on requires similar verbiage .  No Agree-ee No Entry.   Use a generic email address, a throwaway. Fake DOB. No names, just your nic (you can enter nic under name field and then the nic field.

i took my time before registering on PBoards.  Started a reg and the T&C thing came up, quit out of it, came back a day or two later. Googled around. Just do a search on your topic of concerns and PB in the search bar.

YMMV  but i feel its best to self-edit some of your postings - as @BalletBabe  mentioned. The new Board is, iirc visible to global eyes.   Thinking about the VEGAS site where just the general discussion can be viewed. might be a thought going forward.

Honored Contributor

This not a fly-by-night site. They have been going strong for some time now. They have clear rules. I don't think that I could have found a better place to to continue with friends. A big plus is the layout as well. I have a feeling that it is the closest to what we had here. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland