Respected Contributor

Re: SAFETY ON THE NEW FORUMS

@Mersha wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

I have a few family members in criminal law.  Here are some steps to be safe when on ANY forum.

1.  Use a different email address then you use for your everyday things. I have a gmail account that I only use for forums and sometimes for ordering from a strange company.

2.  DO NOT use your real name when signing up.  First name is ok but not last name.

3.  Always check the address bar and make sure there is a lock on it.

4.  Be careful not to talk about where your kids go to school or where you work or your husband work. 

5.   Clear your cookies and Cache' often.

6.  Do not use your real Birth Date

If you already signed up , You can delete and change things.

I personally think the new board seems safe.  Most of the subjects here are also over there. You can look around as a guest, but from what I hear that will change.  There ia also a thread about how to do things.  Most of the people that hunghere are also over there.   Hope this helps!   

@BalletBabe   Good advice.

When I signed up on the new board, I created a throwaway email. 

You do not have to use your real name or birthdate.

If you do not feel comfortable moving to the new board, by all means, do not.  No one is forcing you to do so.

You can go there as a guest and look around.  There is now a Code of Conduct displayed for your info.

The last time that I checked, there were 768 members.

@Mersha, There are 855 now.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I started to sign up and then I stopped.  The information asked seemed too personal and I was not sure exactly who was getting the info.   I backed oui.  And then I got a Twich notice from my Lifelock account.  At this stage of the game I am not going to join.  I didn't like the list of things they wanted in order to sign me up.  

Wish you all well.  Been a  long happy experience.  Hugs... bonnielu

That is odd that they asked you for personal info.  I signed up and only had to give email, nickname and password.  I have a fake date of birth.  They have much less info on me than this board.

No personal info is required to register...just a working e-mail address and DOB. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Just to be clear I know the minute we peruse the internet we are putting our "business" out there.  I, myself, am a victim getting 100s of emails each day. 

I am just giving posters who like to keep their info private a heads up.

@magicmoodz, They do not do that. Emails are used to confirm your membership when you first sign up and to inform you if they are closing the forum for awhile to do maintenance.  Most communications are done on the forum.

@tiny 2 

I was not inferring QVC did this, but rather anytime we are on the internet we can bcome victim to this sort of activity.

Respected Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

I have a few family members in criminal law.  Here are some steps to be safe when on ANY forum.

1.  Use a different email address then you use for your everyday things. I have a gmail account that I only use for forums and sometimes for ordering from a strange company.

2.  DO NOT use your real name when signing up.  First name is ok but not last name.

3.  Always check the address bar and make sure there is a lock on it.

4.  Be careful not to talk about where your kids go to school or where you work or your husband work. 

5.   Clear your cookies and Cache' often.

6.  Do not use your real Birth Date

If you already signed up , You can delete and change things.

I personally think the new board seems safe.  Most of the subjects here are also over there. You can look around as a guest, but from what I hear that will change.  There ia also a thread about how to do things.  Most of the people that hunghere are also over there.   Hope this helps!   

@BalletBabe   Good advice.

When I signed up on the new board, I created a throwaway email. 

You do not have to use your real name or birthdate.

If you do not feel comfortable moving to the new board, by all means, do not.  No one is forcing you to do so.

You can go there as a guest and look around.  There is now a Code of Conduct displayed for your info.

People are making this much harder than it needs to be. It is almost like some people are trying to sabotage the new board because they are mad at the Q. I am actually shocked at how some of the folks here are acting. We are adults and they are acting like toddlers. 

@MG Chris   Absolutely...and the new board is only going into its 4th day!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

Everyone has to do what they're comfortable with.  No one is forcing anyone to join a board you have any questions or concerns about.  

No one is saying they are forced, yet many of peoples concerns are being brushed aside.  Hope it works out well for all.

Exactly.

I've posed the question to fellow posters here and got no response.  Fine.

So, again, I'm asking moderator(s) or administator(s) from the new board to answer whether or not they have access to our names.  

NO, we do not have access to your real name....just your e-mail address.  You just need an e-mail address to register and can make a new one for that purpose if you wish.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow....855!  There must have been quite a few people just reading the Q boards.

That is a lot of customers the Q could potentially lose or have their spending cut way back.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha @Carmie   THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR RESPONSES!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

Everyone has to do what they're comfortable with.  No one is forcing anyone to join a board you have any questions or concerns about.  

No one is saying they are forced, yet many of peoples concerns are being brushed aside.  Hope it works out well for all.

Exactly.

I've posed the question to fellow posters here and got no response.  Fine.

So, again, I'm asking moderator(s) or administator(s) from the new board to answer whether or not they have access to our names.  

I haven't given anyone at the new board my name.  All they have is an email.  

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

Wow....855!  There must have been quite a few people just reading the Q boards.

That is a lot of customers the Q could potentially lose or have their spending cut way back.

@Mersha  855 is not even a drop in the bucket of Q customers. As I pisted elsewhere. Q has millions of customers and only a tiny fraction of them are on this board.

Honored Contributor

For the record, I don't wish for this to impact QVC in any way as far as spending habits.

My purchases probably had more to do with my own needs rather than anyone's posts on here.  I went mainly by reviews anyway.

I feel no ill will because of these boards being shut down.  

Honestly, when I think about it, they were kind of a bizarre part of QVC.  Probably the wrong word, but, yeah.