Valued Contributor

Restaurant recommendations in NYC.

A friend and I will be in NYC next week and neither of us is that familiar with the city. Does anyone have any recommendations for lunch places in the Times Square area? We are going to see 2 matinees and would like to have lunch nearby. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Restaurant recommendations in NYC.

What type of food do you like?

One place my family enjoys is Gyu Kaku, a Japanese restaurant. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

The question made me smile.  I don't think OP knows how big NYC is or how many restaurants there are or the variety of restaurants.  Cute question.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Juniors!! The portions are too big (imo!) - there's never room for cheescake. But they have a very nice lunch special during the week that's the 'right' price and 'right' portion. It's on 45th right off of Broadway.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

The question made me smile.  I don't think OP knows how big NYC is or how many restaurants there are or the variety of restaurants.  Cute question.  

A better question might be 'what should I avoid in the TImes Sq area?' !!!  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Here are a few more suggestions:

Juniors (great food and cheesecake)

Carmines (Italian)

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

She did narrow it down to the area around Times Square. Could you sound more condescending?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

I have been there many times but always with someone familiar with the city. I know there are hundreds of restaurants in that area but want an idea for someplace to have lunch before the show and not just eat anywhere we happen to pass. 

Valued Contributor

One of our favorite places for lunch in the theater district is Blue Fin.  We also like Joe Allen a lot.  Also Glass House Tavern.  We have been going to all three for many years.  Make a reservation to be sure of getting in.  What matinees are you seeing?

Valued Contributor

I forgot about Juniors! We have eaten there before and enjoyed it. I also love their black and whites and plan to bring some home! Thanks!