Respected Contributor

Re: Red Cross - And Donations

I am giving directly to my friend in FL who was affected by Irma.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Why is it necessary to insult people who don't agree?  And because of what charity they prefer or don't prefer...

Sad to make giving an alter for attack.

It is sad, @Noel7, but it's what has been happening on these forums since the first donation threads after Harvey. Posters have been dissing the Red Cross and donating to it since Day One, as well as animal charities they don't donate to.  So if you're referring to my post or @DiAnne's - we're simply giving our opinion of those who have been ongoing dissing the Red Cross.

The whole concept of feeling the need to put down other people's choices of charity is plain ugly, IMO. I have not said a word, in this thread or others, against other people's choices. I have made no statements dissing other people's choice of charity - my comments address those who are making it a point to diss certain charities/diss people's choices. That's just not necessary.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Why is it necessary to insult people who don't agree?  And because of what charity they prefer or don't prefer...

It is sad, @Noel7, but it's what has been happening on these forums since the first donation threads after Harvey. Posters have been dissing the Red Cross and donating to it since Day One, as well as animal charities they don't donate to.  So if you're referring to my post or @DiAnne's - we're simply giving our opinion of those who have been ongoing dissing the Red Cross.

The whole concept of feeling the need to put down other people's choices of charity is plain ugly, IMO. I have not said a word, in this thread or others, against other people's choices. I have made no statements dissing other people's choice of charity - my comments address those who are making it a point to diss certain charities/diss people's choices. That's just not necessary.

hmm, you must have missed her post dissing Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. 

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I haven't missed anything. I'm saying I think it's creepy to diss other people's choices. And I'm aware of who has dissed what - and who apparently believes/goes along with the claims of others just because...why?

I think you didn't understand my post, is all.

Re animal organizations? My local SPCA is big on euthanasia - I know, and it's not a secret locally. You might imagine how I feel about donating to them. They are only marginally better than the county shelter in our area.

Honored Contributor

From the Best Friends website:

"Euthanasia policy

Best Friends believes that no healthy or otherwise treatable animal should be killed when alternatives exist to save them, as stated in our no-kill communities policy. The term “euthanasia,” by definition, means an act of mercy. Therefore, it should be reserved solely for ending the suffering of an animal who has experienced serious and irreversible reduction in his/her quality of life.

Best Friends does not consider population control by any lethal means, including lethal injection, to be euthanasia by definition. Any healthy or treatable animal who has his/her life ended to make space for other animals, or for some other reason, such as treatable medical conditions or old age, should be considered to have been killed.

Best Friends Animal Society will euthanize animals in our care if they are irremediably suffering and our veterinarians advise that there is no chance of recovering an acceptable quality of life. While this is a difficult choice, we approach this decision from the perspective of what is in the best interest of the animal.

Any of these four conditions are sufficient to recommend euthanasia:

An inability of the animal to breathe on his/her own without distress that cannot be treated medically or surgically.
Extreme physical pain that cannot be managed with medication or surgery and that seriously compromises the animal’s ability to enjoy life.
End-stage organ failure.
Uncontrollable seizures.

The following conditions are red flags that require further investigation and are not usually sufficient on their own to justify euthanasia, depending on severity:

If the animal’s desire and/or ability to take in adequate water or food is very low for more than a few days, this could indicate significant suffering. If not already done, a veterinarian’s advice should be obtained.
The animal is chronically soiling himself or herself to the point of inflammation or damage to the skin.
The animal is unable to move about in relative comfort.
The animal is unable to enjoy the activities that he/she did before. The animal’s overall enjoyment of life appears minimal to nonexistent.
The animal has dementia that significantly impairs his/her ability to function and to enjoy social relationships with human family members.
The animal has extreme emaciation for which a cause cannot be found.

At our sanctuary and in our local programs, it is not Best Friends’ policy to euthanize animals for aggressive behavior. We instead prefer to find or create an environment and management protocol that will protect the animal and his or her human handlers and offer the animal a reasonable quality of life. In the event that the aggression is so severe or has unrelievable physical suffering as its underlying cause and/or the necessary management protocol is so restrictive as to seriously compromise the animal’s quality of life, then Best Friends would consider euthanasia an acceptable method for relieving that animal’s suffering and poor quality of life. Such a decision would need to be made by animal care management and a veterinarian, after careful consultation with the animal’s caretakers. You can read more about our position on aggressive animals here."

In addition, by its efforts alone, Best Friends has almost turned the entire city of Los Angeles into a shelter No-Kill area. That's a huge undertaking in a city that size. They have done it by buying their own shelter and actively running another. They take the burden off city/county shelters, and hold mass adoptions with drastically lowered fees. They don't put so many "conditions" on adoption that few animals are adopted - they'd rather lose operating money and get them in loving homes. I sooo don't mind my $$ going to those aims.

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset

Just clarifying, but I don't know who you are referring to.  If it's me, I haven't said anything about Best Friends.  I know nothing about them.

Honored Contributor

The Red Cross will never get a dime of my money, they are theives, plain and simple.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of charity, I just saw a great idea reported.  Airport food not sold or used was previously thrown out, until a Stanford sophomore created an app to give it all to those in need and the homeless.

Now the food is kept in coolers and various charities like Glide Memorial get a notice to pick up their share,  

I know many of our top restaurants do the same thing. 

Honored Contributor

I think as someone here pointed out, we are the most generous nation and people and you can see that from all the concern here of where to donate, and all the donations pouring from all over-rich and not so rich at all!

It is good to investigate always who we donate to, using charity navigator, charity watch or just searching "reviews of....whatever charity you are looking up."

That way we can make up our own mind and feel good about who we donate to.

I don't really see people as dissing "other's" charities, just trying to make sure who we donate to is above board, and accountable and really is there for the people and the animals. 

I doubt many people are naiive in that we trust there is never any fraud (as there was big time several years ago with the United Way).

I know if I am going to give, I want to make sure it goes all the way as much as possible to help who I am giving to.

No need to get defensive really for any of us.

I welcome and want to know any information someone knows whether positive or negative so I can make the best decision I can.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

You might want to consider this before stumping for Pallotta.

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Nonprofits-Need-a-Stronger/156053