Honored Contributor

Re: Red Cross - And Donations

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Why is it necessary to insult people who don't agree?  And because of what charity they prefer or don't prefer...

Sad to make giving an alter for attack.

It is sad, @Noel7, but it's what has been happening on these forums since the first donation threads after Harvey. Posters have been dissing the Red Cross and donating to it since Day One, as well as animal charities they don't donate to.  So if you're referring to my post or @DiAnne's - we're simply giving our opinion of those who have been ongoing dissing the Red Cross.

The whole concept of feeling the need to put down other people's choices of charity is plain ugly, IMO. I have not said a word, in this thread or others, against other people's choices. I have made no statements dissing other people's choice of charity - my comments address those who are making it a point to diss certain charities/diss people's choices. That's just not necessary.

hmm, you must have missed her post dissing Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. 

@PinkSunset

Just clarifying, but I don't know who you are referring to.  If it's me, I haven't said anything about Best Friends.  I know nothing about them.

@Noel7, I believe she is referring to this post:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 I just checked out the much touted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah and they don't rate so high either. They pay their chairman and CFO over $200K annually and rake in huge amounts of money. I don't know where they came from or how they got there but they sure get funds from somewhere.

And you replied - 

@Kachina624

That's sad, too. This is all so heavy, making money off of the sorrow of animals.

It reads to me as if you're agreeing with a post trashing Best Friends (the poster continues to do this in greater detail in multiple threads) - and without knowing anything about them, by your admission. You seemed to take what was said at face value, as truth. 

That's what @PinkSunset refers to and that was my interpretation as well.  Dissing by agreement, without first-hand knowledge.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Why is it necessary to insult people who don't agree?  And because of what charity they prefer or don't prefer...

It is sad, @Noel7, but it's what has been happening on these forums since the first donation threads after Harvey. Posters have been dissing the Red Cross and donating to it since Day One, as well as animal charities they don't donate to.  So if you're referring to my post or @DiAnne's - we're simply giving our opinion of those who have been ongoing dissing the Red Cross.

The whole concept of feeling the need to put down other people's choices of charity is plain ugly, IMO. I have not said a word, in this thread or others, against other people's choices. I have made no statements dissing other people's choice of charity - my comments address those who are making it a point to diss certain charities/diss people's choices. That's just not necessary.

@PinkSunset

Just clarifying, but I don't know who you are referring to.  If it's me, I haven't said anything about Best Friends.  I know nothing about them.

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 I just checked out the much touted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah and they don't rate so high either. They pay their chairman and CFO over $200K annually and rake in huge amounts of money. I don't know where they came from or how they got there but they sure get funds from somewhere.

And you replied - 

@Kachina624

That's sad, too. This is all so heavy, making money off of the sorrow of animals.

It reads to me as if you're agreeing with a post trashing Best Friends (the poster continues to do this in greater detail in multiple threads) - and without knowing anything about them, by your admission. You seemed to take what was said at face value, as truth. 

That's what @PinkSunset refers to and that was my interpretation as well.  Dissing by agreement, without first-hand knowledge.

@Moonchilde

Oh, I am sure that particular poster had something else in mind.  I speak from previous, shall we say, attempts. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

I don't really see people as dissing "other's" charities, 

@on the bay

Better check post #57.

Ugly words for a charity always first on the scene

not just helping, but saving people.

I hope this poster never needs the American Red Cross 

during a time of life or death need. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset

@Kachina624 wrote:

And you replied - 

@Kachina624

@Moonchilde

Oh, I am sure that particular poster had something else in mind.  I speak from previous, shall we say, attempts.   I think you two have also met.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@on the bay

Better check post #58.

@sidsmom

Big sigh.  Post 58 is from me and talks warmly about our airport providing food for those in need.  Nothing more.

Honored Contributor

If someone has something really negative to say about any organization, it just makes me research all the more.

Its just like that dirty word that starts with a P.

I just keep trying to find out what is true.

People have reasons for saying what they do, either from their own experience or doing their own research.

I am not going to take offense at any of it because I know it is hard to know everything about an organization.

Again, I just want to make as sure as I can, that money is going to do the most it possibly can.

I do want to hear all viewpoints. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Two posters are trying very hard to start something...

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@on the bay

Better check post #58.

@sidsmom

Big sigh.  Post 58 is from me and talks warmly about our airport providing food for those in need.  Nothing more.

@Noel7

Sorry!  I was referring to Post #57.  I'll correct my original. 

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7  I just checked out the much touted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah and they don't rate so high either. They pay their chairman and CFO over $200K annually and rake in huge amounts of money.   I don't know where they came from or how they got there but they sure get funds from somewhere. 

<snip>

Why shouldn't their officers make a good salary? Just because someone works for a sanctuary does not mean that they don't work hard or tirelessly or care about animals. I've been there as a volunteer and believe me without them, this country's homeless and abused animals would all be put to death. they took in Vick's dogs and rehomed many of them to wonderful families, They go out into communities and spay and neuter animals for free, they go on reservations to help and educate people on proper pet ownership, they take in animals from all over the country in disasters because the local shelters are full and would have to put them down. they do much, much more. 

do you think all that happens without people planning and working hard to get it done? 

Why is a high paying job scoffed at here yet it's okay to pay CEO's of hospitals $5 million dollars (like the Cleveland Clinic's CEO was paid). Isn't that supposed to be a charitable place, ie helping people?

It chaps my drawers when someone puts down a person for working hard because they feel that person should give all the money to the animals and take little in return.

BTW, they do provide excellent care for the animals. Excellent. did you know if you adopt from them, they will fly the animal anywhere in the country? 

I think they give plenty to help out the animals and people. How do they get money? People pay membership dues, corporations donate to them, plenty of places, none of them unsavory ill-gotten gains.

THEY ARE NOT MAKING MONEY OFF THE SORROW OF ANIMALS. i SUGGEST YOU GO ON FB AND LOOK UP HANDSOME DAN'S RESCUE AND READ THE STORY OF HOW IT CAME TO BE. 

Your statement infers that they salaried employees live like kings while the animals in their care are sorrowfully kept in metal cages. 

BTW, if they rake in huge amounts of money and the top 2 officers only get $400,000 out of the millions they "rake in", I'd say that's a pittance. 

@PinkSunset

I volunteered at Best Friends for almost two years.  I got some insight into the inner workings.  I no longer donate to them and took them out of my will.  My choice.

I give blood to Red Cross twice a year.  

I donate, support regularly, volunteer with, and have adopted from several no kill animal help organizations with which I am personally familiar.

As my Grandmother always said "no pancake is so flat that it doesn't have two sides.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

If someone has something really negative to say about any organization, it just makes me research all the more.

Its just like that dirty word that starts with a P.

I just keep trying to find out what is true.

People have reasons for saying what they do, either from their own experience or doing their own research.

I am not going to take offense at any of it because I know it is hard to know everything about an organization.

Again, I just want to make as sure as I can, that money is going to do the most it possibly can.

I do want to hear all viewpoints. 

If what is being said about that organization has even a drop of truth, you shouldn't take offense.  People trying to shut down rational but negative feedback may be need to ask themselves why this is a problem for them.  I'm currently reading a book by Ted Koppell about the possibility of a cyber attack on our power grid, the Red Cross isn't getting favorable treatment there either.  My employer is asking for donations for Hurricane Relief and I can't tell you how many times the customer specifically asks if its being handled by the Red Cross, since I can say no, they give every time.