Honored Contributor

I give money to various organizations (most locally) all through the year.

I'm hoping that with the trillions of dollars being donated to Red Cross they are expected to give an accounting to some agency to account for to whom and what the money goes to.

I sincerely hope that down the line we never hear that the money donated by well meaning people has been put in other people's pockets and not used for the purpose donated.

We all know that this has happened before.  I'm just saying it's a lot of money and I hope a very large agency is overseeing it, other than just the Red Cross.

Honored Contributor

Re: Red Cross - And Donations

@Annabellethecat66

I read a report a few days ago about others worried, also.  I know it was common some years ago, but apparently still goes on.  I hope not, but there should be some accountability which is made public.

Esteemed Contributor

I will never donate to the Red Cross."Fool me once shame on you.Fool me twice shame on me"!! 

Honored Contributor

I read last week that the Red Cross takes the first 9% of every donation for "administrative costs".  Can you imagine how much this would be with the recent donations?  I haven't donated to them since the Haitian earthquake when they held and didn't distribute desperately needed funds.

I've found this website helpful in determining what charities to which to donate.

https://www.charitynavigator.org

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

rrRe: Red Cross - And Donations

Go to charitynavigator.org for info on the Red Cross and other organizations. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 Red Cross will tell you that a donation to them for 'disaster services' is used nationwide. I don't believe you can specify a certain area.

Of the nationwide charities Salvation Army's Kettle Drive during the holidays does stay in your community. The change you put in the kettle pays for operating their local office.

Have a good friend who is a social worker with SA, has been for 20+ years. She has a modest offiice (I once donated a coffee pot when they couldn't buy one) and she makes those funds stretch thru the year.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I read last week that the Red Cross takes the first 9% of every donation for "administrative costs".  Can you imagine how much this would be with the recent donations?  I haven't donated to them since the Haitian earthquake when they held and didn't distribute desperately needed funds.

I've found this website helpful in determining what charities to which to donate.

https://www.charitynavigator.org

@Kachina624

Just awful and so sad. I haven't donated to them for years, either.  This time I went with Wings of Rescue for the immediate need to save dogs, cats and other animals.  We can add on as needs of the people in Florida and Texas continue.

Honored Contributor

I donated to QVC w/Red Cross and Hand in Hand yesterday.  I do hope the monies goes to the people of Houston and Florida.  I understand it is good to donate to Salvation Army as they always help people.  Next time I will change my course.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Noel7  I just checked out the much touted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah and they don't rate so high either. They pay their chairman and CFO over $200K annually and rake in huge amounts of money.   I don't know where they came from or how they got there but they sure get funds from somewhere. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I won't contribute to the Red Cross....due to high administrative costs.  Currently looking for an animal fund that will not go into the pockets of overhead, but rather benefit the animals directly.