Honored Contributor

Re: Really Bad Storm Here In Va Tonight!

@Red Rider wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@Annabellethecat66, I hope you made it through the storm in one piece???

Well, if she didn't - then nobody would ever know, would they?

@sophiamarie, I guess that statement is true but my purpose was to get her to post IF she was able to, to alleviate my concern.  She was on my mind.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Thank you sweet foxxii!  Yes, I think that my poor Katie the cat is going to have a heart attack.  She acts so weird the minute the first thunder happens.  She gets real low (I call it STEALTH Mode)...I try to hold her but she runs and hides.  It's hard to see her so afraid.

Can you imagine those poor people in Louisiana?  I can't imagine.  OK, so when I was a teenager I lived with my sister and her 4 children (single mother).  The place where we lived flooded every Spring and Summer.  To the point where you needed boats to get around!  It was crazy.  This was back in the early  60's.

We lived on the top floor of the apartment bldg (I think it was 3 levels).  The water would go up to the 2nd level.  I remember once my sister had to swim over to the apartment, float up the stairs and get into the apartment!  They'd cut off all of the electricity to the area so that was safe.  I don't remember our stuff getting messed up but it happened several times!

I know all of you have stories to tell.  I don't know you guy's ages, but after awhile we all have stories to tell!

Honored Contributor

Glad that things didn't get worse for you, @Annabellethecat66.

Omg, I almost tear up when I look at those scenes in Louisiana!  Water, water and more water!

"There but for the grace of God go I".

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@CaryH You are near me... Where I live I know it hit something...my neighbor called and said he thought it did too...then we heard the fire trucks.  Brought back memories....crazy!

Honored Contributor

So glad nothing bad happened Annabelle!

We had a nice soaking rain for hours last night (Jersey shore).  I love when it rains at night especially at home because I have a little potting shed out back that has a copper roof and love to hear the rain hitting it while in bed.

We're lucky there is no drought here or at home.   We get a good soaking once a week at least.

I do think I'm going to have an automatic sprinkler system set up here for when we're away.  There will be so many new trees, shrubs, grass and other plantings, I can't afford to lose anything.

Of course the rain and flooding has been horrible in LA, and the terrible drought/fires in CA.  But that doesn't mean we can't worry about our own little peices of heaven, right?

Respected Contributor

That is awful!! You were grace under pressure. 

We have our house struck many times and the last time resulted in a small fire and our chimney blown to bits. 

Every time it would fry our alarm system wiring. We had a electrical surge protector put on it helped with the appliances.

After the last strike we got lightening rods. The best investment we made for our home.

Have you looked into getting them?

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

We have our house struck many times and the last time resulted in a small fire and our chimney blown to bits. 

Every time it would fry our alarm system wiring. We had a electrical surge protector put on it helped with the appliances.

After the last strike we got lightening rods. The best investment we made for our home.

@Melania

about a year ago we had a whole home surge protector installed by our gas and electric company.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

As scary as our storms were I'll gladly take them rather than have the tragic situation going on in LA.

My very best wishes and sympathy to those who have lost loved ones and everything they own..
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Melania wrote:

@Melania

about a year ago we had a whole home surge protector installed by our gas and electric company.

Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't know they had those. I'm wondering if that's what was put on our electrical panel.