Esteemed Contributor

Do you brush/clean your cats teeth? Do they like it?

I was watching a few videos about brushing cats teeth because with my youngest (kitten) I want to be more adamant about it. (Our older cats we had before had to have some teeth pulled in their older years). Plus yes the vet can clean and checks them also but if there are problems it gets expensive so I want to be on top of it.

Anyway...while watching the video my kitten crawled on my lap and he continued to watch the video of the cat getting his teeth cleaned and then he swatted the screen and looked at me like NO WAY are you doing that to me! lol.. I was cracking up laughing. I wish I would have recorded him watching the video.

Well Im still going to attempt doing his teeth starting this week :-)

Also moral of the story is; I had a not too good few days and its amazing how my kitten makes me laugh instantly with some of the stuff he does!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Brushing cats teeth (funny)

How cute ..... if I want my cat's teeth brushed, I'm pretty sure I'd have to pay someone to do it.   LOL

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine ever being able to do that to any cats we've had! But if started as a small kitten, they might take better to it.

I did brush the teeth of my last dog. Bless his heart, he didn't want to do it, but just sat there so stoic and let it happen.

Respected Contributor

I have one for you-I have a friend who can't floss her teeth without her cat wanting his teeth flossed!! It's not something she taught him either....I don't have a cat ( we have doggies), but I love seeing and hearing about their antics!Smiley Happy

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sheldon and Lennie would NOT let me mess with their teeth EVER!!! I have enough trouble getting them to hold still while I trim their claws. However, Sheldon is very interested in my Waterpik. I have to watch him like a hawk when he gets up on the sink vanity. He heads right for the little water tube and wants to chew on it. He's a red tabby like the one in the picture.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U

We have been owned by many felines, all rescued in one way or another. Some we brought in as young kittens, some that were much older.

We have always trusted our vets to decide when felines should have their teeth cleaned, and none of our many had any health related issues that were caused by bad teeth hygiene.

Now last November 2015, I spent 6 days in the hospital when one of our most gentle felines did not like us putting Revolution Flea and Tick solution on him. I was talking to him and he was facing me, and my wife was putting it on his upper back, right below his head. That is where it is placed so they cannot get at it.

Next thing I know, this very gentle feline bit my left hand leaving a good sized hole. I have been bitten many times over decades by cats that are afraid. I cleaned the bites properly and never had an issue.

Next morning, a Friday, I wake up and my hand looked like a balloon ready to pop. My PCP was not working so I called my nephew-in-law, who is a doctor in the same practice as my PCP. He told me to come right in to see him.

He immediately sends me to the ER and has me put on IV Antibiotics. Was admitted and was on a couple different Antibiotics after being seen by an Infectious Disease Doctor. For about 2 weeks I could not close my fingers on that hand, and much longer before I knew I had 2 working hands once again.

And you ask, "Do I brush our felines teeth"?  Here is some important information for all that are owned by a feline, as told to me by our vets. Some cats have more of a certain type of bacteria in their saliva, and if so? If you get bit and it starts to swell at all within a couple hours? You may just want to head to your closest ER. The longer it takes to get the Antibiotics into your system, the worse things will end up.

Still want to brush little "kitten's teeth"?  Not me !

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies and cat stories. cute.

Now since reading your reply (hckynut) maybe I should reconsider? I was going to do it when hes half asleep but no I dont want to get bit when he has his big teeth!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles