Honored Contributor

Really Bad Storm Here In Va Tonight!

Several years ago lightning hit my house during a bad thunderstorm.  Long story....short...we couldn't live in it for a full 5 months!

Had to get all new furniture (damaged, not by fire but by fireman), new lots of things!

I just heard it hit something!  My house has been hit, tree next to house hit (2 different trees), chimney hit, You'd think it would scare me, but it doesn't do any good to be afraid.

My husband was out of town.  At least I know what to do as I handled the first night and next day by myself.  Dealing with the insurance.  Covering up the roof (burned), etc.  

Virginia gets lots of thunderstorms because of the humidity, I guess.

Honored Contributor

Re: Really Bad Storm Here In Va Tonight!

Oh, @Annabellethecat66, are you saying that the tree hit your house??  Be very careful.  That could be dangerous!

About four years ago, during a storm, a large tree in our front yard got structure by lightning.  We didn't know about it til later that afternoon.  Luckily for us, the hugggge branch the size and length of a junior tree, fell toward the street and not the house.  I had to pay $100 for someone to come and chop it up and remove it.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 .... please be safe  .... I hope the storm passes fast!

Honored Contributor

Yes, @Mmsfoxxie for the 'big one' lightning hit the tree, bounced off of the tree, caught the roof on fire.  My house looked like a war zone!

Lived in a hotel for 5 full months.  My late husband and me.  An interesting life.  Meals out every day all day, and on and one.

Cost the insurance company over $240,000 (yes, that many zeros!).  

I called my husband that night and said, "Lightning hit the house.  I think you need to come home in the morning".  He knew I'm not an alarmist so he said, "OK, I'll finish up here and be home in a few days."

I said, "There are 5  fire trucks in the yard and driveway, your house is burning, I'm standing outside, everyone is safe.  It's time to come home in the morning....

The next morning when he walked in the door, I'd had the roof covered that night (keep out rain), I had an insurance number (called co that night), had people lined up for bids on fixing house, lined up meeting that morning with insurance adjuster, you name it.    He knew I'd get it started.  I just don't panic at stuff.

That was an experience, those 5 months.  During that time, Sept 11th happened, I had two daughters get married within 3 months of each other.

It is what it is...that's my motto in life...Ha!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, I remember you telling that story because it was a very interesting read.  I would have panicked for sure.  I don't handle crisises very well when danger is involved.

I hope you have neighbors close by in case you have to leave the house.  Seriously.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Regular Contributor

Anabelle the Cat-You are one very brave lady. Being so brave during a storm and its aftermath is something to be proud of yourself about. When Hurricane Sandy hit Long Island, we lost power and it was cold. So we had to leave our home. We didn't get power for 11 days. It was very hard. Good luck to you and be safe.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie  - Smiley Happy  We all do what we have to .... right?  Well, at least you know it's true because I remembered it...HA!  Take care sweet foxxie.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a state over and it's small potatoes if you consider the death and destruction in LA and nearby states.
Honored Contributor

@Aviatrix wrote:

Anabelle the Cat-You are one very brave lady. Being so brave during a storm and its aftermath is something to be proud of yourself about. When Hurricane Sandy hit Long Island, we lost power and it was cold. So we had to leave our home. We didn't get power for 11 days. It was very hard. Good luck to you and be safe.

We lost ours for 13 days and my rose arbor snapped at the bottom. Fortunately we had somewhere to stay for the duration.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

hi @Annabellethecat66

waving to you from just up the road......

we have had a lot of heavy rain and thunderstorms for the past couple of hours, but it seems to be subsiding a little bit.

there was a flash flood warning here for a while.

hopefully you are doing okay through this and the storms have eased up.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein