Honored Contributor

Re: Real Estate Question ...

As far as I know, the answer to your question is No.  Once the sale is final, the info is public knowledge.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

BESIDES calling the RE agent (which I've already done), is there a way I can find out who the buyer of a pending home sale is?

if you are the seller then you should know who the potential buyer is once you view an offer or contingency.

if you are not the seller, then i dont think you can know who the buyer is until the sale is finalized and then the buyer and the sale price becomes public and recorded. i think their are privacy issues involved.

i am pretty sure that is how it works in maryland.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do want actual names or do you just want to know if it's a married couple, woman, man, etc.?

I'm guessing if you already contacted the agent and couldn't get the information, it is confidential until the deal closes and the deed is filed with the county.  So you must want to find a way around that confidentiality.

If you don't know the seller, who may or may not be able to tell you, then no, there is no way to find out until the deed is filed.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina : the buyer of a pending home sale that is not yours is not your business.

In addition, the buyer is not the owner until the property closes escrow, at which time you can find out the info. Also, the new owner will not necessarily be the occupant- they may plan to rent the property.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe I missed something..........bids (offers) come into the RE office, and are then presented to the owners.

The bids contain the names of the folks who make the offer(s).   Right?

The owners/sellers decide if they want to accept one of the offers.  Sometimes they accept all cash, which is faster, because there isn't a contingency.

No need to wait months for the buyer to sell their present house, etc., etc. 

Well, that's how it used to be, I believe.  

I could be wrong, though.

EDITED:   I'd check your state real estate laws.  I believe each state has their own real estate/realtor laws. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Now that I'm thinking about it, could be that the O/P is not the seller.

Also, it could depend on the individual state.

Each state has it's own real estate laws, I believe. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Now that I'm thinking about it, could be that the O/P is not the seller.

Also, it could depend on the individual state.

Each state has it's own real estate laws, I believe. 

That was my understanding.

I know when my daughter was renting her first apartment in Maryland, she had asked the rental agent at the complex what the demographics of the complex were and the agent told her that by law she wasn't allowed to tell her.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Do want actual names or do you just want to know if it's a married couple, woman, man, etc.?

I'm guessing if you already contacted the agent and couldn't get the information, it is confidential until the deal closes and the deed is filed with the county.  So you must want to find a way around that confidentiality.

If you don't know the seller, who may or may not be able to tell you, then no, there is no way to find out until the deed is filed.

"I'm guessing if you already contacted the agent and couldn't get the information, it is confidential until the deal closed and filed with the county. So you must want to find a way around that confidentiality."

Sounds shady to me.

Sound like she  trying to skirt the law.

Why?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Offers are often made orally and presented orally by the agent to the seller, and the prospective buyer is not identified apart from terms (all cash, contingency, prequalified, etc.). That's how it was in my most recent experience with selling a house.

We had accepted the all-cash offer, then did the paperwork and learned who the buyers were. They turned out to be a creepy family of flippers. Very bad neighbors. Woudn't have accepted the offer if I'd known who they are and seen their history.

An outsider would have no right to any information about the sale until it's recorded. I don't think the seller, buyer, or either seller's or buyer's broker would want that information released until the deal is done.

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina Privacy laws in all states prevent the price and names of the purchaser due to possible discrimination on multiple levels. Once the property has gone to settlement, it is filed with the county and is public information.

Now, if you are the victim of a crime/have a restraining order against someone and are concerned that the person/persons may be purchasing the property, contact your attorney. I know for a fact that there are exceptions to the rule.

"Coming to ya from Florida"