Honored Contributor

I couldn't figure out what you were writing about , then finally realized it was the REAL ID license.Using a bunch of initials instead of words does not make a post clear. 

When we moved to Florida 8 years ago we had to go to the county offices to get cars registered , register to vote, apply for homestead status and get drivers license. They are particularly strict about the REAL ID license in Fl. and you must take your birth certificate, marriage certificate, if you are divorced - the divorce papers, or a widow - his death certificate.In other words you must be able to trace your name changes throughout your life with documents.The lady in front of us was divorced several times, so she really bogged the process down. I had both my marriage certificates and first husband's death certificate.Plus my passport & birth certificate & SS card.Mine only took a few min.We haven't been here long enough to have to renew yet.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Pooky1 wrote:

here in ri we can renew drivers licence on cumputer.  i think other states do it to.  we go on dmv . com.  good luck.

I was able to renew via mail 3x but there must be a limit or I aged out,

but the process was easy AFA the documents, they just don't have enough people to do the job, and then there are the idiots who don't have all the right stuff  

ugh but what are you going to do?

@jackthebear - I was able to renew last time through the mail - I should be getting the stuff very soon for the next renewal, so it will be interesting to see if I can do it by mail or will I have to gather up the documents and do it in person.

My daughter was only able to do it once through the mail, the next one required the dreaded trip.

Honored Contributor

If you have the right documentation, it takes on 45 minutes at the small DMV office by me to get a REAL ID license.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I couldn't figure out what you were writing about , then finally realized it was the REAL ID license.Using a bunch of initials instead of words does not make a post clear. 

When we moved to Florida 8 years ago we had to go to the county offices to get cars registered , register to vote, apply for homestead status and get drivers license. They are particularly strict about the REAL ID license in Fl. and you must take your birth certificate, marriage certificate, if you are divorced - the divorce papers, or a widow - his death certificate.In other words you must be able to trace your name changes throughout your life with documents.The lady in front of us was divorced several times, so she really bogged the process down. I had both my marriage certificates and first husband's death certificate.Plus my passport & birth certificate & SS card.Mine only took a few min.We haven't been here long enough to have to renew yet.

Living in NJ 

I sort of knew what she was talking about,

even when one has produced all the documentation to get a license, for renewals, one still has to go prepared, AGAIN  with same

although last year I just showed my license and application did not have show anything else 

Esteemed Contributor

In MA, if renewing online, the number and date signed are required on the bc.  SS card has to be a certain type - paper only.  And, after the March date, though you think you can renew - standard license - online, you can't:  you get a confirmation # and must bring in bc.  The benefit of completing form online is that it's already in the system so no clerk needs to input the info.  

If going to rmv, you need to print out the renewal application form as they have a line for those with that completed form which go "faster".  Only one line at AAA.  And, if you don't have a working printer (me!) you can't print it out elsewhere for the phone number must be the same!  Also, once you get the confirmation #, you cannot redo it again to access a printer.  I stopped by the Sr.Ctr to get a paper app to bring with me.  Fortunately. it was not required.  But, AAA gave me additional forms to drop off at the Sr. Ctr. 'cause although they have a liason with the rmv, the apps they had were outdated - the apps keep changing I was told.

It takes 21min for the info to be processed thru the nat'l system, plus you have to do the eye test and get pic.  So, the quickest time per applicant is about 30min!  And you get the lic in 1.5 wks.  

By 2020, the real license will be required or a current passport to access any federal bldg (post office!?!).  And, even it your standard lic is in effect and you choose to switch to real same paperwork will b required (hopefully they'll finally settle on requirements) and it'll cost $25 for the card (tht's over and above the $50 already paid when you got your license.

Imho, it &ucks!

Valued Contributor

In Illinois, when you go to renew your license, you bring your documents and get a temporary license.  They mail your license to your home.  It takes about two weeks.  

The temp license is paper and the actual license is plastic.  

I think it's risky sending the license through the mail.  Anything can happen to it.  

Honored Contributor

In OK the deadline is October. Other than the deadline, I don’t know any details.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Pooky1 wrote:

here in ri we can renew drivers licence on cumputer.  i think other states do it to.  we go on dmv . com.  good luck.

I was able to renew via mail 3x but there must be a limit or I aged out,

but the process was easy AFA the documents, they just don't have enough people to do the job, and then there are the idiots who don't have all the right stuff  

ugh but what are you going to do?

@jackthebear - I was able to renew last time through the mail - I should be getting the stuff very soon for the next renewal, so it will be interesting to see if I can do it by mail or will I have to gather up the documents and do it in person.

My daughter was only able to do it once through the mail, the next one required the dreaded trip.

NJ?

maybe they pick randomly  

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

In OK the deadline is October. Other than the deadline, I don’t know any details.

renew your license before October?  :-)

Respected Contributor

Re: REAL LICENSE

[ Edited ]

Yes, my Michigan DL complies with the Federal Real ID requirements. I made an appointment on our Secretary of State website and the whole thing took about 5 minutes. The biggest hassle was convincing the clerk that was waiting on me that a US Passport CARD is a valid, government issued ID that proves I'm a US citizen and satisfies the proof of citizenship/legal residency requirement. She had to go get a supervisor, who quickly pulled out a sheet showing her that I was correct. I have the same problem with the TSA on a fairly regular basis. 

This whole thread is a bit confusing. It seems that the OP is inquiring about obtaining a license that meets the Federal Real ID requirements, but the bulk of the responses are about merely renewing a current license, NOT obtaining the upgraded ID. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~