Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a Farmer's Market in your town?

[ Edited ]

Tell me about your Farmer's Market. Do you love it as much as I love mine? Just returned from our town's Farmer's Market. We take our dog. Ran into three people I haven't seen for a while. Brought home some lovely plants for the patio. We're a town of 110K, suburb to a 2 mil metro population. Farmer's Market is open Wednesday and Saturday mornings in the heart of our quaint downtown area. There's usually local live musicians and a variety of vendors. Well attended. What's your experience? Image result for photos of farmers market lees summit mo

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a Farmer's Market in your town?

No, not in our town because everyone grows and we have farm stands. If you don't mind driving up and down country roads you can find wonderful fruits, veggies,herbs, baked goods, honey, maple syrup and dairy products and handi crafts. at these roadside stands.

Honored Contributor

we have a farmers market here in my town. it is amish owned. only open thursday, friday,saturday.

has meat markets, home made cakes,pies,donuts, has a little eat lunch counter, also has little areas where people who want to sell thier wares have little spaces.  

the market is in an old huge supermarket store. the building was gutted out and divided up for all little kioskes and markets. 

i use to go to my hair salon in the market but she wanted to be open 6 days a week, she moved out of the market place and into a full retail space, she  failed miserably, she went out of business. didn't have enough clients to open a full service salon. she passed away shortly after closing her salon. not sure if this was to much to bear,

i like going into the market place every now then.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 I can see myself driving up and down your country roads. Sounds delightful! And finally -- it's spring, almost summer!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

We have one, not that far away.  Last time we went, I got stung in the back by a bee.  Those things hurt!  Thank goodness I' not allergic.

Respected Contributor

Yes, ours just opened for the season this morning and it was PACKED! Unfortunately, there's not a lot of locally grown veggies available yet, but I did get a few things. Ours is open just on Saturdays until June 1st, and then it's open Thursday and Saturday until the end of October. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Only during the summers. It's small but better then nothing. Wish we lived some place that has all those outdoor markets.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

No, not in our town because everyone grows and we have farm stands. If you don't mind driving up and down country roads you can find wonderful fruits, veggies,herbs, baked goods, honey, maple syrup and dairy products and handi crafts. at these roadside stands.

I live rural so this is my experience, too. While there is a farmer's market near where I work, nothing quite as fancy as when I lived in the city.

Fresh fruits and local veggies. You can find local honey and maple syrup. Far better quality and prices than the stores. 

There is a small community about 20 miles from me that has actually banned roadside stands. Guess WM and Meijer thought these were cutting into their corporate profits.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy  The thought of roadside stands being banned isn't a pleasant thought. I've met the kindest people, of all ages, during these encounters.

Valued Contributor

We have three that are close by.  All on seperate days.  I prefer one that has everything imaginable  I am able to get raw goats milk for my Doxie who has a liver shunt and it is one of the few things she can digest.  Everything about the Farmer's Market is awesome and we have a few food trucks.  My fave is the German one.  It is by an enormous garden center.  Love the free roam eggs and duck eggs, the market has.  Amazing.