Esteemed Contributor

The Real ID Diriver's License is optional in CA. Beginning October 2020 we would need a Real ID to board a domestic flight or enter a secured federal building. Until then (10/2020) a regular, valid, CA license or regular ID card will do.

If a person isn't flying or entering federal buildings a regular license is still fine.

This has probably already been said but applying for a REAL ID has to be done in person and documents are required. Renewal for a regular license can still be done through the mail or online.

@Sunshine45, I've renewed my license many times through the mail and have never needed an eye exam. Maybe because I'm in CA and different states have different laws. I was thinking maybe it's because I've never had glasses as a requirement to drive. IDK, but it's interesting to see how the states are different.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

I don't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about.  Never heard of "Real License".  We live in NH.  Don't know if applies to us; hope it doesn't.

It does.  My BFF lives in Salem and she's gonna get a "Real License" (as called in MA) next year.  The good thing is after you get that one, you can renew online forever!

Esteemed Contributor

This thread is confusing. I just looked at the NH DMV site and just like CA a regular license if fine for domestic flights until October 2020. I may be reading this wrong but it seems like even after that date if you don't plan to board a flight a regular license will still be fine.

There will be two different options. The REAL ID is called "Federal Compliant" and will have something on it to identify it as such. People will also have the option not to choose a REAL ID and will be issued a license that's identified as "Not for Federal Identification." 

Like I said, I'm confused, but that's what I read on both the CA and the NH DMV site.

Honored Contributor

Re: REAL LICENSE

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

The Real ID Diriver's License is optional in CA. Beginning October 2020 we would need a Real ID to board a domestic flight or enter a secured federal building. Until then (10/2020) a regular, valid, CA license or regular ID card will do.

If a person isn't flying or entering federal buildings a regular license is still fine.

This has probably already been said but applying for a REAL ID has to be done in person and documents are required. Renewal for a regular license can still be done through the mail or online.

@Sunshine45, I've renewed my license many times through the mail and have never needed an eye exam. Maybe because I'm in CA and different states have different laws. I was thinking maybe it's because I've never had glasses as a requirement to drive. IDK, but it's interesting to see how the states are different.

it is interesting to see how states vary on this.

yes, we are required to have an eye exam (i dont wear glasses either). you have the option of going to your own eye doctor and then mailing in the renewal or coming into a dmv or a dmv express and taking the eye exam there and renew in person.

i was not eligible to renew by mail this past time because my previous license had been renewed that way. it was fine though because i wanted to get the new star license anyways. i do like that it is valid for 7 years.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

This thread is confusing. I just looked at the NH DMV site and just like CA a regular license if fine for domestic flights until October 2020. I may be reading this wrong but it seems like even after that date if you don't plan to board a flight a regular license will still be fine.

There will be two different options. The REAL ID is called "Federal Compliant" and will have something on it to identify it as such. People will also have the option not to choose a REAL ID and will be issued a license that's identified as "Not for Federal Identification." 

Like I said, I'm confused, but that's what I read on both the CA and the NH DMV site.

at this point, maybe some states are doing it that way? making it a choice rather than a requirement at this time. maryland is not.....they are just issuing the REAL star ID now.  i am not sure why though people just dont get the newer ID though if it is available?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Q. Can jurisdictions meeting the standards of REAL ID continue to issue non-compliant REAL ID driver...

A. Yes. REAL ID allows jurisdictions to issue identification cards and driver’s licenses that are not in compliance with the requirements of the Act. Those licenses and identification cards, however, must clearly state on their face and in the machine readable zone that the card is not acceptable for official purposes.

https://www.dhs.gov/state-compliance

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting that @sunshine45. What that tells me, unless I'm reading it wrong (which I'm very good at, lol) is that people will continue to have the option of getting the REAL ID or, if they choose, continue getting a regular license. 

I agree with you, why not get the Real ID since it's available. All I know is this thread made my head hurt and I'm on my way to whip up a cocktail. You deserve one too! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

Thanks for posting that @sunshine45. What that tells me, unless I'm reading it wrong (which I'm very good at, lol) is that people will continue to have the option of getting the REAL ID or, if they choose, continue getting a regular license. 

I agree with you, why not get the Real ID since it's available. All I know is this thread made my head hurt and I'm on my way to whip up a cocktail. You deserve one too! Smiley Happy

LOL you are welcome @SusieQ_2.....tanqueray and tonic, extra limes for me please! CHEERS!