Esteemed Contributor

Has anybody gotten their Real License?  If so, how is it in your state?  

In Massachusetts, RMV lines are 3-4hours!Woman Mad  However, we can go to AAA (members only).  I went yesterday and must've hit it right - only took one hour!Woman Indifferent

Anyways, much ire and frustration here in MA:  RMV first shut down to install new computer system; when opened again, it crashed.  Then after that system was back up again the national system failed.  Also, they're not clear as to what identifications will be accepted and their forms keep changing.  Guess that's what results whenever inept despots are in charge.  Also, hiring because of 'who ya know' doesn't always fare well, imho.Woman Sad

Oh! in this state it'll take as long  to obtain a Standard License as the transaction can not longer be completed online as of 3/26.Woman TongueWoman Mad

Honored Contributor

that's what it is like in NJ

we are used to it

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

that's what it is like in NJ

we are used to it

Yeah, @jackthebear!  Got relatives in Jersey and it seems we kinda run the same with the registry, taxes, etc., sadly!

Respected Contributor

here in ri we can renew drivers licence on cumputer.  i think other states do it to.  we go on dmv . com.  good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

here in ri we can renew drivers licence on cumputer.  i think other states do it to.  we go on dmv . com.  good luck.

I was able to renew via mail 3x but there must be a limit or I aged out,

but the process was easy AFA the documents, they just don't have enough people to do the job, and then there are the idiots who don't have all the right stuff  

ugh but what are you going to do?

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1

We can renew online in VA, too. I’ve renewed online the last 2 times. There are a lot of DMV offices in Northern Virginia and some of them aren’t too bad (1 hour processing times). If we need to renew in person, it helps that we’ll be able to go while most folks are working since we’re retired. 😉

Honored Contributor

I got my 'real' license 6 years ago.   It wasn't difficult.  All I had to do was take my SS card, a piece of mail with my address, and birth certificate.  The only time it helped was when I was flying.  I heard (not sure if true) that we'll all eventually have to get one. 

The worst part is having to go to DOT.  I try to go at an odd time so it's not wal to wall people.  

Respected Contributor

Illinois - They sent  renewals in the mail for several of mine, then I had to go in person (about 1-1/2 hours), and the last one they did a renewal by mail.

When you go down,  you wait on line to get your eyes tested, then you wait to have your picture taken, then you wait to get your actual license.  There are too few places where you can go, and none of them are very convenient. Shameful.

Respected Contributor

I'm from NJ but haven't lived there in almost 20 years.  I don't know if anything has changed in NJ, but when I lived there everything had to be done at the DMV and was usually there a couple of hours.  I moved to California. Had to re-test to get license but what I did like about California is that you can make appointments on line which eliminated long waits.  As long as you had an appointment, they took you right away.  When it came time for license renewal, you can do it on line or by mail only if you didn't have to retake a picture, then you'd have to go to DMV but again, you can make an appointment.  I live in Georgia now.  Didn't have to take test again for my license here.  They have a computer system which you put in most of your info.  If you didn't do that, you have to go into the lines and wait but from what I saw (at least on that day) it wasn't too bad.  If you did enter your info prior to going, you're in and out.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I'm from NJ but haven't lived there in almost 20 years.  I don't know if anything has changed in NJ, but when I lived there everything had to be done at the DMV and was usually there a couple of hours.  I moved to California. Had to re-test to get license but what I did like about California is that you can make appointments on line which eliminated long waits.  As long as you had an appointment, they took you right away.  When it came time for license renewal, you can do it on line or by mail only if you didn't have to retake a picture, then you'd have to go to DMV but again, you can make an appointment.  I live in Georgia now.  Didn't have to take test again for my license here.  They have a computer system which you put in most of your info.  If you didn't do that, you have to go into the lines and wait but from what I saw (at least on that day) it wasn't too bad.  If you did enter your info prior to going, you're in and out.

dont move back!!!!