Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those retired

When I had little kids and was working, I dreamed of being able to sleep in to 8 or 9 in the morning and DH and I took turns on the weekends... but now that we're retired, I'm usually up at 4 - 6 and I'm like others here and feel this gives me a small jump on the day and I love mornings.  I don't really have sleeping problems but I have a serious neck problem (nerve) since I fell down my stairs in 2010 and when my neck "is done" it hurts and I've learned to just get up and get going.  We love retirement.... Woman LOL  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I go on the premise, "early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."  It does say "man", I guess I can quit waiting.  LOLWoman Wink

Respected Contributor

For 35 years, I got up every morning at 5:00.  I retired in 2010 and now I get up when I wake up.  Sometime between 7:00 and 8:30.  DH is up at 7:00.  I do tend to get up earlier in the summer though.  The way the weather is behaving around here, we may not see summer until August.  Lol.  Snowing right now.

Honored Contributor

When we worked we both went to bed between 10 - 11 pm & got up at 5:30 am. I never felt like I got enough sleep because I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. DH is like a cat - he’s out for the duration.

Now that we are both retired we still go to bed around 10 - 11 pm, but get up between 7 - 8 am. Sometimes I will sleep until 9 or 10 am which feels really good, but I don’t want to do that too often.

We we still get up early on Sunday - around 6 - 6:30 am because we need to be at church to sing for 8:30 mass. We warm up our voices at 8:00. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always been a night person, even before retirement.  Usually go to bed between 11:00pm-12:00 unless there’s a movie or tennis match I want to watch.  I have sleep apnea and painful arthritis so I wake up a lot during the night, even with my CPAP.  Usually wake up around 8:00am to get my morning coffee so I can watch Judge Judy at 9:00!  Get up at 7:00am twice a week to play tennis.  

Honored Contributor

Never in bed before 11; never up before 7.

Respected Contributor

nothing has changed for me, I wake up at 5 a.m. and fall asleep around midnight...

Honored Contributor

I'm not retired but I know I wouldn't want to live like that.  I don't see the point of getting up in the middle of the night for no reason and then going to bed before the evening has begun.  But if you enjoy it, that's all that matters.  I think that when I do retire, which won't be for another 10 to 12 years; my awake/sleep schedule won't change much.  It didn't change during my 2 months of medical leave.  I wake up naturally at 6:30 and go to bed between 11:-00-11:30pm.  I don't nap unless I'm not feeling well.     I wouldn't want a different schedule from my husband during our retirement years because we've had different schedules for much of our marriage (he's a registered nurse) because he has shift changes.  We look foward to spending more time together in our retirement lives.  

Honored Contributor

Thank-you everyone for all the wonderful shares!  I enjoyed reading through them all.  I have simular issues with DH as several of you who posted do.  We are both pretty layed back.... no big plans for the future.... just taking everyday as it comes.

I would like to move to a 55 or older comunity sometime in say the next 5 years... if we can afford to.  Homes here in the Seattle area are SO EXPENSIVE NOW that it is best to stay in our paid for home for now.... and see where the housing market is going. Selling is easy... homes sell in one day... buying is another issue with competion being so tight. Maybe renting is the way to go in the future rather than buying....

Respected Contributor

SeaMaiden, I could have written a nearly identical post!