Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those retired

Bedtime varies wildly but I am up between 7:30 and 8:30.  Does your husband have your same sleep schedule, @SeaMaiden?

In AZ the late night shows come on at 10:30, instead of 11:30, so I usually fall asleep a bit quicker here.

Respected Contributor

Mon. Wed. Fri. I get up at 6.15 a.m. to get to exercise class 7.30 for one hour.  Tues arise at 8 a.m. yoga class 9 a.m. 1 hour.  Rest of week usually up 8 a.m.ish.  Go to bed between 9 - 10 p.m.   Always have to get up once during night to go to bathroom which I hate!

DH rises 9 a.m.ish walks dogs every a.m. and p.m. retires around 9 p.m. but reads until 10 or 11 p.m.

Honored Contributor

I am a night owl and always have been.  I go to bed between 2 and 3 am usually and I naturally get up around 8 am.    Sometimes I stay in bed until 10 am.

My summer schedule is a bit different.  I go to bed around midnight and get up around 7 am.  My days are very active.

Honored Contributor

I like to stay up late - always have. I try and go to sleep about 2AM. And then I get up about 7 AM.

I used to get up at 5AM when I worked. So 7 AM seems to be "sleeping in". But I figure the longer I am retired maybe it will creep closer to 8 AM.

Thankfully my husband gets up between 5 and 6 AM to walk the dog. Usually the dog is up and ready to go at that time. So if my husband is away, I get up early for the dog.

Honored Contributor

My DH goes to bed around 9 to 10 and gets up around 6AM. I stay up til midnight usually and get up 7 to 7:30.

Honored Contributor

I'm semi retired.  I go to bed at 10 and get up at 6.   If I plan to go out at night, I have to squeeze in a late afternoon nap, or at least lie down and rest for 30 minutes.

I'm usually wiped out on Fridays!   Often don't make it past 9, if I haven't had a nap.  

Honored Contributor

We are both retired. My spouse has never adjusted to retirement "hours"...he's up by 5 am in bed by 8:30 everyday.

I'm a "night owl" but I like the quiet time always have. I go to bed around 2 am up by 7:30-8:00am.  I've always been like this -- too bad nothing to do around here most my friends are in bed by 9 unless we have something planned in the evening.

I don't nap during the day normally.  I have lots of excess energy!!!

Respected Contributor

Husband retired a year ago but he is up at 5:30 every morning, he says he likes his quiet time, still gets the newspaper, why? computer has up to date info of sports scores. coffee & gets on computer, me go to bed at 1am up at 9am. My problem is cooking, why for 2 people. He loves going to late lunch but most times I rather cook so after a huge restaurant lunch I am tired so that ruins my day. He wants to move to 55 community with golf course but we looked many times, they are in the middle of no where here. I don't like it. Love being close to shopping & drs. HOA's are expensive & every class you take is more money. I need to look into a senior activity center for him with golf & classes but we can stay in our house. My g/f's husband just retired 1 week ago at the age of 70yrs. Can't wait to talk to her but she has a shore house & he loves to remodel things. With 2 houses he must be busy. Finding out some men are older retire & wife still working which makes things not good. If you both retire same time it is better. Love shopping mid week & we stay home on weekends, less traffic & stress. 

Honored Contributor

I am a night person.  I read until at least 11 pm - then watch news and the late night guys.  I have been known to read until 2 or 3 am if it is a good book.   I have to set two alarms if I have to be anywhere before 10 am!

Respected Contributor

I record so many tv shows & love late nite seems my husband is an early bird. It works for us. Now all his 10 suits that he never wears need to go, if I can get him to part with that would be something. Why is he hanging on to them.? I can see hanging to at least 3 of them. How about the 20 ties he has? Yep hang on you never know! I got rid of so much in closets. He won't part with his clothes.