Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those retired

I wake up at anywhere from 4:00 to 5:00 every morning.

I wish I could sleep in, but those days seem to be gone.  But, I did sleep till 5:45 one day last week and was shocked when I looked at the clock.  But I'd also been awake for over 2 hours that night, so I really don't count that as sleeping in.

We go to bed at 9:00.  My husband is asleep by 9:01.  I have a show I watch at 9:00 but usually fall asleep around 9:45.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I'm usually up by 6 AM, which is a far cry from my working days when I'd often need to be at the airport at 4:00 AM to catch the first flight out in the morning. If I'm able to sleep until 7 AM, it's a true luxury. I have very active days, so I'm usually in bed with either a book or watching TV by 10:00 PM and typically turn the light/TV off shortly after 11. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Before I retired, I was up around 4am, to work by 5:30, worked until 4 or 5 pm.

Now, my preferred sleep is 10-6 or 11-6.  I get up earlier only if I have to work an early shift.  I work about 15 hours a week in a grocery store's customer service area.   

My dog will sometimes get me up earlier and there is nothing better than sitting on the deck in the dark while he does his business.   A peaceful morning with birds chirping is wonderful.

I often take a 20 minute nap and it is wonderful.  I don't nap longer or I'll feel groggy the rest of the day.  

Respected Contributor

After I retired, I decided to sleep late for the first 3 months and just do what I liked.  After that I decided to go to the gym at 6 a.m. (gym is in my building), have breakfast at 7 for an hour.  I go to bed about 8:30 p.m., watch some TV, go to sleep about 9:30/10 p.m.

This has worked for me now for 14 years.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH still works.

I must say, I do like getting up early enough to feel I have a "jump" on the day. There's something wonderful about mornings.

I don't like sleeping late as it seems like half the day is gone then!

Respected Contributor

Before I retired I was a terrible sleeper and needed a sleep aid to fall asleep early enough to keep me asleep and get a full nights sleep in order to get to work. Now I fall asleep naturally whenever I get tired, be it 10pm or 3am. I naturally wake up between 7:30-8:30am unless I have an early class. My waterpainting class is at 9am and I admit it is a bit of a struggle to get there.

My whole philopsophy about retierement is that this is now my time and I don't really want to commit myself to anyone or anything for the longer term. Been there, done that, have the tee-shirt. I'm busier and travelling more now than I ever have but it's with things I want to do, not required to do.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
New Contributor

I find that I wake with the sun. In winter I sleep until 7 or so, but come spring I'm up

earlier. Right now I wake about 5:45 and in June I'll be awake by 4:30 or 4:45. I

like the early morning and tend to be most productive the first couple of hours I'm

up. I usually go to bed about 9:00 and read for an hour or so. I'm single , but have 2 

cats who tend to wake me in the night if they need a cuddle or two.

Respected Contributor

I retired 8 years ago and usually go to bed between 11 and 12:30; I get up between 7 and 8. When I worked, I got up at 5, so this is an improvement. If I’m not up by 8:30, DH is ready to hold a mirror under my nose. DH retired almost 4 years ago and usually goes to bed by 1; he gets up between 8 and 9. Even though we’re up, we don’t really function before 10, spending our time catching up on the news, reading, etc. We’ve found that we sleep better when we exercise - nothing complicated, just a brisk walk in the neighborhood. If the weather ever gets better around here, we’ll get more active. I’m really looking forward to going to our community pool this summer. We’re in the water most of the time we’re there and sleep like babies on pool nights. 

Honored Contributor

I have a very stressful job, lots of deadlines and I'm responsible for many millions of dollars of revenue.     Also I had 1 very annoying difficult co-worker.   She quit at the end of 2017 and I turned in my notice to retire at the end of May and I'm sleeping like a baby!!

In my case, stress and lack of physical activity was not good for  my sleep habits.

When I am fully retired, I plan on staying active and avoiding stress.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom is always complaining the dog don’t let her sleep past 7. She starts pouncing on her to get up. Bed by 10.