Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd like to know how they justify this increase with transportation costs so low now.  Ever see the salaries the Usps executives make?

Have you seen what the union workers make with benefits?  

My mother retired from the USPS decades ago, and her pension is still paying out to the tune of $350,000+.  I should add that she wasn't a lifer, she only worked for them about 10 years.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

I've been stocking up for several weeks on stamps, getting some each payday. I like to have at least 100 on hand, but will be building up after running almost totally out. I am going to go through my budget book, and try and figure out an approximate number of stamps we use in a year, and try to get two years worth. We'll see. 

I have just gotten some of the first responders stamps. My dad was a police officer, so I love those!

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@threecees   Where were you able to get the O'Beautiful stamps?  I ordered my stamps about two weeks ago from the USPS store and those weren't offered.   They are beautiful, I would like to get some.

@Allegheny I am in PA and bought them at the post office. Maybe you can call

your post office and see if they have them or will get them in. Ours has many

choices available including the John Lennon stamps too.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd like to know how they justify this increase with transportation costs so low now.  Ever see the salaries the Usps executives make?

Have you seen what the union workers make with benefits?  

My mother retired from the USPS decades ago, and her pension is still paying out to the tune of $350,000+.  I should add that she wasn't a lifer, she only worked for them about 10 years.

The average USPS worker with 20 - 40 years service at retirement can get between 20,000 - 40,000 per year and they do pay for a good part of their retirement plan.  That is not much considering all they do - especially the carriers!   If they did not pay half decent with great benefits then they would not be able to keep good employees.  

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@threecees   Where were you able to get the O'Beautiful stamps?  I ordered my stamps about two weeks ago from the USPS store and those weren't offered.   They are beautiful, I would like to get some.

@Allegheny I am in PA and bought them at the post office. Maybe you can call

your post office and see if they have them or will get them in. Ours has many

choices available including the John Lennon stamps too.

Thanks for letting me know @threecees.  I'm from PA also.  We're going past our local post office today and will stop in.

Trusted Contributor

I'll admit I don't use a lot of stamps; that may be, at least, in part, why I don't get complaints about the price of stamps. 

Can I drive the letter, payment, whatever, to it's destination for 55 cents?  I don't think so!

Now service, at the post office, another matter.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be buying a roll of stamps tomorrow.

Valued Contributor

i think it's a bit much, considering how much mail they deliver incorrectly. should i really be getting mail from maine and i live in nj? i thought they process fewer and fewer pieces of mail each year, so how is it that they make more and more mistakes?

i don't mail much these days. no more than 10 pieces a year, and that's pushing it! over 5 years ago, i bought several sheets of forever stamps. late last year, when i got down to 2 sheets (what use to be called a book of stamps), i bought 5 more, not even thinking about the price going up, up and away.

if the service was better, i could justify the cost, but . . . .

Respected Contributor

@Pook   I agree with you.  There are good and not so good employees in every workforce.  My complaints about USPS are very few.  And they do deliver in all sorts of conditions.

And your observation about their pension funding is spot on.

Anyone curious can find out the peculiar, and unfair,way they are made to operate can easily find the info online.

My question is if they ceased operations who would replicate their service and would it be anywhere near as good?

Contributor

Re: Postage increase

[ Edited ]

We bought a big supply of Forever stamps several years ago.

We don't mail much anymore.