Honored Contributor

Please share your Tracfone experiences

My husband is pushing to get into the 21st century and upgrade our cell phones. I'm not really wanting to, as I never use it, but realize I can't put him off much longer, I want to explore Tracfone.

Please understand that we are using old flip phones and have never even so much as sent or received a text. We aren't looking for a bunch of bells and whistles. He wants to have a GPS, a camera, and be able to post listings to ebay and such, and of course send and receive texts.

A couple of questions we have off the bat are:

When you buy additional minutes, do you get a little card thingy to put in the phone, or do you download minutes through the phone itself, or are both ways available?

If I buy my minutes well ahead of needing them, do they expire? I know what comes with the phone is good one year beyond activation. Are additional purchases good for one year beyond activation or beyond purchase?

Those minutes (and texts and data), do they all come as a package, like the original offer? So I buy X amount of minutes, and the same text and GB's come as well? (I do understand that somehow it knows I'm entitled to triple, and how has other's experience been with it actually knowing you get the triple?) 

Sorry to sound so completely 1950's but we just don't need this technology, I have had no interest in it, but hubby thinks he can no longer live without it, so any help with some questions today would be greatly appreciated! And feel free to keep explanations simple, as this whole thing is rather new to me!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the day goes on.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please share your Tracfone experiences

I can only relate my experience and can't answer your tech questions.  I bought the Sunset model in April from HSN.  Have yet to make or receive a call.  My phone is similar to the TSV.  I found the phone very complicated to use compared to the other Tracfones I've had for years.  I thought about ditching it and going back to my old phone.  Then I got locked out of it and couldn't do a thing on it.  It uses a "tap code" as a security measure to sign in.  Be very careful with this.

i finally called Tracfone and talked for 40 min to a rep who didn't understand the phone I have.  She kept insisting I push a button on the side and there aren't any.  Anyway she finally agreed there must be something wrong with the phone and agreed to exchange it for a new one.

Just be aware that this phone is a lot more complicated to use than your flip phone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

My husband is pushing to get into the 21st century and upgrade our cell phones. I'm not really wanting to, as I never use it, but realize I can't put him off much longer, I want to explore Tracfone.

Please understand that we are using old flip phones and have never even so much as sent or received a text. We aren't looking for a bunch of bells and whistles. He wants to have a GPS, a camera, and be able to post listings to ebay and such, and of course send and receive texts.

When you buy additional minutes, do you get a little card thingy to put in the phone, or do you download minutes through the phone itself, or are both ways available?

If I buy my minutes well ahead of needing them, do they expire? I know what comes with the phone is good one year beyond activation. Are additional purchases good for one year beyond activation or beyond purchase?

Those minutes (and texts and data), do they all come as a package, like the original offer? So I buy X amount of minutes, and the same text and GB's come as well? (I do understand that somehow it knows I'm entitled to triple, and how has other's experience been with it actually knowing you get the triple?) 

Sorry to sound so completely 1950's but we just don't need this technology, I have had no interest in it, but hubby thinks he can no longer live without it, so any help with some questions today would be greatly appreciated! And feel free to keep explanations simple,  as this whole thing is rather new to me!

let him get the fancy phone if you don't want one.

However once you start texting you will find that that it is a wonderful way to communicate with people and you might like it. 

There are times when it's very useful to send a quick text instead of leaving a message on a machine. Or trying to schedule a lunch with a group, things like that

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ha, I was wondering about this Tracfone thing too.

I have just one tiny step above a flip phone (which I had and loved but it finally croaked) and I can text on it and take TINY photos, like REALLY tiny photos, and set an alarm, but that's about it.

EVERYONE I know has an iPhone or the equivalent and I always feel like the dinosaur in the group.  Oh, wait, there is ONE friend who is a hold out in the entire thing.  Still has a landline and NO cell phone.  I think I've finally talked him into getting one, just for when he's out and about, for safety.  Now he's thinking he really wants a smartphone so he can keep up with his pals on sports stuff, some kinds of competitions or something they have.

Anyhoo, I really would like a new phone that does a lot of what the iPhone does, but I hate going to the phone places because those techie people just talk down to you if you're not a techie nerd like they are.

Cat Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Sorry to sound so completely 1950's but we just don't need this technology, I have had no interest in it, but hubby thinks he can no longer live without it, so any help with some questions today would be greatly appreciated! And feel free to keep explanations simple,  as this whole thing is rather new to me!

let him get the fancy phone if you don't want one.

However once you start texting you will find that that it is a wonderful way to communicate with people and you might like it. 

There are times when it's very useful to send a quick text instead of leaving a message on a machine. Or trying to schedule a lunch with a group, things like that

Have to agree, I find I am using my phone for more and more things.  It is very easy to check email, sent a quick text, look up something on the Internet,  lots and lots applications.  I prefer to deal with someone local so if I have a questions or problem I can deal face to face. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Me and the ball and chain have had a Tracphone for yrs. After so many yrs. they make you upgrade, they send you a whole new phone for free. Your minutes are added to the new phone, same expiration date.

We're oldies LOL So, going with Tracfone for 100 a yr. on each phone is the cheapest way to go. Just have to renew once a yr if you take the one yr. card. No contracts, they don't bother you, etc.

My husband's phone was so old they made him take an upgrade and on his it stays on all the time, even though he doesn't use it and made me set it to where it's on 'silence' since you can't turn it off he doesn't want to hear it ring. I turned off the ringer. LOL Neither of us give our number to nobody but my sisters who will call me on my landline because I can call them back for free LOL

Anyway, Tracfone, is the best when it comes to just having the basic phone you need for emergencies if your on vacation, stranded out on the interstate, etc. We have it strictly for OUR convenience not for others convenience. MOst of the calls that come in are scammers we just delete without opening the message because we know it's nobody we know calling because NOBODY has the #. I would recognize if it was sisters anyway. We use it , too, for calling in a pizza while on the road.

He has 4000 minutes on his and I have 3500 ! Just buy the 1 yr card and let 'em roll over. LOL

My phone you can still turn off. I imagine they will make me upgrade soon. These **** phones that are on all the time you have to keep charged. Means every other day I have to plug in his phone. Don't know why they can't have a feature to where turn it off and save battery.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I can only relate my experience and can't answer your tech questions.  I bought the Sunset model in April from HSN.  Have yet to make or receive a call.  My phone is similar to the TSV.  I found the phone very complicated to use compared to the other Tracfones I've had for years.  I thought about ditching it and going back to my old phone.  Then I got locked out of it and couldn't do a thing on it.  It uses a "tap code" as a security measure to sign in.  Be very careful with this.

i finally called Tracfone and talked for 40 min to a rep who didn't understand the phone I have.  She kept insisting I push a button on the side and there aren't any.  Anyway she finally agreed there must be something wrong with the phone and agreed to exchange it for a new one.

Just be aware that this phone is a lot more complicated to use than your flip phone.

Thanks @Kachina624

I think I might eventually figure things out with a newer phone, but my husband (the one who is pushing this whole thing) is even more challenged than I am, and I actually dread going through this whole process with him. It would be bad enough on my own! LOL

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  Here's what I'd suggest.  Let your DH get the phone and you keep the one you have, at least for now.  That LG phone can be tricky, especially for someone who's never used a smartphone.  I'd let hubby go through all the frustrations (there will be) and get if figured out eventually. Then you can get one and he can show you how to use it!  QVC and HSN both offer these same phones at least a couple times a year with similar features (HSN's is less expensive, though).  I know it sounds great to be able to do all that new stuff, but for someone who's never used a touch screen, there is a definite learning curve!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Me and the ball and chain have had a Tracphone for yrs. After so many yrs. they make you upgrade, they send you a whole new phone for free. Your minutes are added to the new phone, same expiration date.

We're oldies LOL So, going with Tracfone for 100 a yr. on each phone is the cheapest way to go. Just have to renew once a yr if you take the one yr. card. No contracts, they don't bother you, etc.

My husband's phone was so old they made him take an upgrade and on his it stays on all the time, even though he doesn't use it and made me set it to where it's on 'silence' since you can't turn it off he doesn't want to hear it ring. I turned off the ringer. LOL Neither of us give our number to nobody but my sisters who will call me on my landline because I can call them back for free LOL

Anyway, Tracfone, is the best when it comes to just having the basic phone you need for emergencies if your on vacation, stranded out on the interstate, etc. We have it strictly for OUR convenience not for others convenience. MOst of the calls that come in are scammers we just delete without opening the message because we know it's nobody we know calling because NOBODY has the #. I would recognize if it was sisters anyway. We use it , too, for calling in a pizza while on the road.

He has 4000 minutes on his and I have 3500 ! Just buy the 1 yr card and let 'em roll over. LOL

My phone you can still turn off. I imagine they will make me upgrade soon. These **** phones that are on all the time you have to keep charged. Means every other day I have to plug in his phone. Don't know why they can't have a feature to where turn it off and save battery.

@SharkE

I had no idea some new phones don't shut off. I wonder if this phone is like that.

Is this how all phones are going, that they can't be shut off? What would be the purpose of that?

Honored Contributor

HI MOMINOHIO!

I also only have a flip phone, but am upgrading actually this weekend. My daughters are going with me, because I do not understand all of this tech stuff, but I know I want something not too expensive. I basically just will use the camera, the GPS and texting once in a while. We still have and like our landline, so any talking for any length of time will still be done on our landline. The reason I am not getting the tracphone, is the last time HSN had one, I sent my two daughtes the link and they said that I would probably go through the 1300 min of talk and text, so therefore would spending more in the long run, so I am going to get an unlimited plan where I don't have to worry about minutes,etc....But everybody's needs are different so this might just work for you and your husband. If you go onto the electronics forum, you will see lots of posts about the tracfones.......That is where I went, when trying to decide!