Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please share your Tracfone experiences

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I can only relate my experience and can't answer your tech questions.  I bought the Sunset model in April from HSN.  Have yet to make or receive a call.  My phone is similar to the TSV.  I found the phone very complicated to use compared to the other Tracfones I've had for years.  I thought about ditching it and going back to my old phone.  Then I got locked out of it and couldn't do a thing on it.  It uses a "tap code" as a security measure to sign in.  Be very careful with this.

i finally called Tracfone and talked for 40 min to a rep who didn't understand the phone I have.  She kept insisting I push a button on the side and there aren't any.  Anyway she finally agreed there must be something wrong with the phone and agreed to exchange it for a new one.

Just be aware that this phone is a lot more complicated to use than your flip phone.

@Mominohio Please buy at your current phone provider Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile. Tracefone is a great company, but it does not give customers hands on tech support. Your DH could buy a smartphone and you could keep your flip.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Wackers3 wrote:

I have enjoyed the Tracfone - started getting them about 5 years ago and the last 2 years they have also been smart phones.  I have not had any real issue figuring out how to operate them - I don't use it as much as some use their phones but can certainly do the things I need it for.

I like the Tracfone system since I usually upgrade to a new one each year and transfer any remaining minutes to the new phone.  It has been cheaper to buy from the Q or HSN each year (when they run a TSV or other special deal) then to buy a year's worth of minutes hence why I always upgrade.

My phone still turns off if I choose,  And any phone will if the battery isn't recharged.

I hear people say 'buy a year's worth of minutes'. What does that mean, and how much is it? Are we talking about the minutes that come with the package like the TSV, and how long do some of you get out of that minute package that comes with the TSV?

If you don't want to keep buying minutes every month, every 3 months, every 6 months from Tracfone it's best to spend just 100 a yr on the once a yr. card. 100 bucks one time renewable online, plus, they will give you not just what you pay for 400 minutes but a bonus when you add the code for the once a yr. card.

You can always call them and get the once a yr card  added if you don't want to renew online. They can do it themselves just turn the phone on

we figure 100 a piece a yr is a lot cheaper then people who text and have these plans and spend fortunes. I know people who let their kids text each other while sitting beside each other in a car ! Riduculous

Honored Contributor

If Tracfone wasn't available I'd go to Consumer Cellular or Jitterbug.

Strictly for the needs of Seniors who don't need a phone attached to their ear every minute. I'm glad to get away from my phone at home don't want to hear it ringing while I'm out.

I see enough fools walking around talking to themselves in stores. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Wackers3 wrote:

I have enjoyed the Tracfone - started getting them about 5 years ago and the last 2 years they have also been smart phones.  I have not had any real issue figuring out how to operate them - I don't use it as much as some use their phones but can certainly do the things I need it for.

I like the Tracfone system since I usually upgrade to a new one each year and transfer any remaining minutes to the new phone.  It has been cheaper to buy from the Q or HSN each year (when they run a TSV or other special deal) then to buy a year's worth of minutes hence why I always upgrade.

My phone still turns off if I choose,  And any phone will if the battery isn't recharged.

yeah, but, then you have a dead phone what good will that do you?

If you need it in case of emergency you've let your phone battery die your SOL.

His phone stays on, Mine you can turn off, battery goes down very, very slowly you sure don't have to recharge it every other day like on his new Tracfone. I dread the day , I'll have to monitor the both of them. LOL

Regular Contributor

I had to answer this: DON'T DO IT!

I purchased a Tracfone smartphone a couple years ago. What a nightmare! At the time, mine came with triple minutes for life. I spent more time running around trying to find a phone card for Tracfone with triple minutes (they're always sold out it seems). After speaking to one of their "managers" she told me she would add the minutes only once. If it happened again then I would only get regular minutes.

The other thing I ran into was a language problem anytime I needed to reach out to them. It was a real problem.

Third thing: getting bars or should I say lack of getting bars. I would have to go outside on my deck to use the phone. I live in a metropolitan city.

All in all I was very disappointed/dissatisifed with Tracfone.

Needless to say, I ended up with Verizon. $30 a month, unlimited text and data. I could not be happier. 

Good luck with your decision

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm glad you liked the other, but, 360 a yr. compared to 100 is out of my price range for something I never use.

The 'chat now' feature would had gotten around talking to a person who couldn't speak English well.

Course, we don't text at all, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't this why people have children??? to help them with tech stuff???  But in all seriousness, how do you communicate with your son?  

I say go for it!  You will soon learn to love it and wonder how you survived without access to texting, emails, and internet.  I once had a computer problem and the very helpful posters in Electronics solved it.  I am sure your questions could be addressed there.  

Esteemed Contributor

I also have a flip phone and love it - it's dependable and solid.  I bought a Tracfone from Q and it's been sitting on the table for a year - unused!  For me...it's a nightmare to enter your contact (people) names and numbers.  The pad is so small - I have long nails - and would delete what I wanted to remain in the list.  Can not use a stylis (that pencil looking screen toucher) because the Trac needs human warmth to respond.  At least that's what my computer gru told me.  You can have my Trac for free!   Love the flip - easy to enter new contact names, etc.

Honored Contributor

don't have any contacts hahahhaha We just use ours for our own use.

In case of medical help, tow service, pizza ordering, etc. LOL

Honored Contributor

I was the last person I know who didn't have a cell phone.  It was deliberate.  I didn't want to be tethered to my phone, I didn't want to be available 24/7 for silly stuff.  But finally, hubby and my girls forced me into it and I'm glad they did.  That was probably 6 or 7 years ago.    But I didn't need or want a $$$$ phone or some $$$$ contract.  So, from day one I had a Tracfone and I still have one.  Now, of course, it's a Smart Phone.  I have only good things to say about it.  My phone does everything everyone else's phone does.  It isn't and sleek and pretty but it gets the job done.  They have a montly plan but I choose not to do that, I just have them put minutes on my phone once a month and money comes out of my debit card.  It's my only phone now,  we only have a house phone for the fax/printer.