Honored Contributor

Re: Please share your Tracfone experiences

@2blonde wrote:

@Mominohio  Here's what I'd suggest.  Let your DH get the phone and you keep the one you have, at least for now.  That LG phone can be tricky, especially for someone who's never used a smartphone.  I'd let hubby go through all the frustrations (there will be) and get if figured out eventually. Then you can get one and he can show you how to use it!  QVC and HSN both offer these same phones at least a couple times a year with similar features (HSN's is less expensive, though).  I know it sounds great to be able to do all that new stuff, but for someone who's never used a touch screen, there is a definite learning curve!

I can't afford to keep ours going and add the new (well, don't want to afford it). We've been with Verizon for years, and are paying $80 for a couple of old flip phones. It is crazy what we are paying, for what we use, so the whole Verizon thing has to go. 

I'll be the one fighting 'our' way through the learning curve, so I might as well get on board from the start. Hubby is more challenged than I am.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

HI MOMINOHIO!

I also only have a flip phone, but am upgrading actually this weekend. My daughters are going with me, because I do not understand all of this tech stuff, but I know I want something not too expensive. I basically just will use the camera, the GPS and texting once in a while. We still have and like our landline, so any talking for any length of time will still be done on our landline. The reason I am not getting the tracphone, is the last time HSN had one, I sent my two daughtes the link and they said that I would probably go through the 1300 min of talk and text, so therefore would spending more in the long run, so I am going to get an unlimited plan where I don't have to worry about minutes,etc....But everybody's needs are different so this might just work for you and your husband. If you go onto the electronics forum, you will see lots of posts about the tracfones.......That is where I went, when trying to decide!   

@CANDLEQUEEN

OMG The electronics forum. Here is how much I avoid electronics in general....I never even noticed that there was an electronics forum here!LOL

I'll check over there too, and hope they all don't speak a 'foreign language' I can't understand!!

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

I have enjoyed the Tracfone - started getting them about 5 years ago and the last 2 years they have also been smart phones.  I have not had any real issue figuring out how to operate them - I don't use it as much as some use their phones but can certainly do the things I need it for.

I like the Tracfone system since I usually upgrade to a new one each year and transfer any remaining minutes to the new phone.  It has been cheaper to buy from the Q or HSN each year (when they run a TSV or other special deal) then to buy a year's worth of minutes hence why I always upgrade.

My phone still turns off if I choose,  And any phone will if the battery isn't recharged.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had an old flip phone too.  It finally stopped charging and I invested in an LG through Tracphone.  I know it's me but after two years I still cannot operate the phone and I hate it.  I use the phone application and, of course, have family and friends who are only interested in texting - even the few I get are problematic for me (another screen keeps popping up).  Don't use any of the apps and someone else operated the phone to take and send a photo for me.

$99 for a year of cell phone and data is off the charts great!

Save your sales info including the serial number, etc.  Bought more minutes and texting data one day before the one year expiration on line with no difficulty.

If I continue to feel this way about the phone - you can get various phone models through tracphone although I'm not sure how that would impact the tripled minutes and data.  I know it's me but I hate this phone.  I still mail checks to pay my bills - so does that tell you something? 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

HI MOMINOHIO!

I also only have a flip phone, but am upgrading actually this weekend. My daughters are going with me, because I do not understand all of this tech stuff, but I know I want something not too expensive. I basically just will use the camera, the GPS and texting once in a while. We still have and like our landline, so any talking for any length of time will still be done on our landline. The reason I am not getting the tracphone, is the last time HSN had one, I sent my two daughtes the link and they said that I would probably go through the 1300 min of talk and text, so therefore would spending more in the long run, so I am going to get an unlimited plan where I don't have to worry about minutes,etc....But everybody's needs are different so this might just work for you and your husband. If you go onto the electronics forum, you will see lots of posts about the tracfones.......That is where I went, when trying to decide!   

@CANDLEQUEEN

OMG The electronics forum. Here is how much I avoid electronics in general....I never even noticed that there was an electronics forum here!LOL

I'll check over there too, and hope they all don't speak a 'foreign language' I can't understand!!

Thanks

Actually MOMINOHIO,

Try the Today's Special Value Forum, TYracfone team is on there answering tons of questions. It is very interesting and a lot of your questions will be answered!

Regular Contributor

@Mominohio I have an old flip tracphone [I must be @QueenDanceALot's twin!!Heart) --not looking forward to having to upgrade but they told me last year that I'll have to before I renew (late Oct this year)......so I'm kinda in your boat too.

I did have the same experience @Kachina624 had when i called Tracphone central last year ... spoke with three reps and no one could figure out why my phone wouldn't accept the 1yr extend card (where all your unused minutes roll over).  So I went back to Walmart and the counter guy got on the phone with them and they worked out something somehow...but that's when I found out I'd have to get a new phone in 2016.

Anyhoooooo, my suggestion is that you and happy hubby go to your local Walmart (mine has a whole wall of Tracphone stuff) and have the clerk walk you thru the screen and advantages/disadvantages of each model.  Then, like @2blonde suggested, only one of you buy one now so you'll have one you actually know how to use in case of emergencies and the new one where you'll have a year to explore the learning curve.  

I do love the reception on my phone; and as others have stated it's the cheapest option to just add a $100 card per year. 

Honored Contributor

@Wackers3 wrote:

I have enjoyed the Tracfone - started getting them about 5 years ago and the last 2 years they have also been smart phones.  I have not had any real issue figuring out how to operate them - I don't use it as much as some use their phones but can certainly do the things I need it for.

I like the Tracfone system since I usually upgrade to a new one each year and transfer any remaining minutes to the new phone.  It has been cheaper to buy from the Q or HSN each year (when they run a TSV or other special deal) then to buy a year's worth of minutes hence why I always upgrade.

My phone still turns off if I choose,  And any phone will if the battery isn't recharged.

I hear people say 'buy a year's worth of minutes'. What does that mean, and how much is it? Are we talking about the minutes that come with the package like the TSV, and how long do some of you get out of that minute package that comes with the TSV?

Honored Contributor

When techies started talking tech I stick my fingers in my ears and cry "MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP"

Maybe I need an intervention.

Honored Contributor

@forest4thetrees wrote:

@Mominohio I have an old flip tracphone [I must be @QueenDanceALot's twin!!Heart) --not looking forward to having to upgrade but they told me last year that I'll have to before I renew (late Oct this year)......so I'm kinda in your boat too.

I did have the same experience @Kachina624 had when i called Tracphone central last year ... spoke with three reps and no one could figure out why my phone wouldn't accept the 1yr extend card (where all your unused minutes roll over).  So I went back to Walmart and the counter guy got on the phone with them and they worked out something somehow...but that's when I found out I'd have to get a new phone in 2016.

Anyhoooooo, my suggestion is that you and happy hubby go to your local Walmart (mine has a whole wall of Tracphone stuff) and have the clerk walk you thru the screen and advantages/disadvantages of each model.  Then, like @2blonde suggested, only one of you buy one now so you'll have one you actually know how to use in case of emergencies and the new one where you'll have a year to explore the learning curve.  

I do love the reception on my phone; and as others have stated it's the cheapest option to just add a $100 card per year. 

Hi sister!

You just reminded me of when I went (kicking and screaming) to the verizon store with my old dead flip phone and the guy looked at it and said "Wow, I haven't seen one of these in ages".

But I wasn't at the Antiques Roadshow so........

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Me and the ball and chain have had a Tracphone for yrs. After so many yrs. they make you upgrade, they send you a whole new phone for free. Your minutes are added to the new phone, same expiration date.

We're oldies LOL So, going with Tracfone for 100 a yr. on each phone is the cheapest way to go. Just have to renew once a yr if you take the one yr. card. No contracts, they don't bother you, etc.

My husband's phone was so old they made him take an upgrade and on his it stays on all the time, even though he doesn't use it and made me set it to where it's on 'silence' since you can't turn it off he doesn't want to hear it ring. I turned off the ringer. LOL Neither of us give our number to nobody but my sisters who will call me on my landline because I can call them back for free LOL

Anyway, Tracfone, is the best when it comes to just having the basic phone you need for emergencies if your on vacation, stranded out on the interstate, etc. We have it strictly for OUR convenience not for others convenience. MOst of the calls that come in are scammers we just delete without opening the message because we know it's nobody we know calling because NOBODY has the #. I would recognize if it was sisters anyway. We use it , too, for calling in a pizza while on the road.

He has 4000 minutes on his and I have 3500 ! Just buy the 1 yr card and let 'em roll over. LOL

My phone you can still turn off. I imagine they will make me upgrade soon. These **** phones that are on all the time you have to keep charged. Means every other day I have to plug in his phone. Don't know why they can't have a feature to where turn it off and save battery.

@SharkE

I had no idea some new phones don't shut off. I wonder if this phone is like that.

Is this how all phones are going, that they can't be shut off? What would be the purpose of that?

Probably so you have to buy a new battery for it is what I imagine. Means a trip to Battery Joe's or would have to get one by mail from Tracfone.

His is on all the time. He can't have that at work. He doesn't believe in cellphones at work even though all around him is yakking on theirs when the boss isn't looking. LOL  I put it on 'silence' end of problem