Respected Contributor

Re: People Who Call Everyone "My Friend"

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Does it sound disingenuous to you when someone addresses everyone they speak to as "My friend"  Neal Cavuto on Fox and Fox Business does it all the time on his shows. The late senator John McCain did it as well. I've heard a few QVC hosts do this too, and it really irritates me. Maybe it's just a tic. It sounds as bad as someone saying "Doll" or "Sweetie" but no one would do that on TV. It seems fake and patronizing to me.

Wow

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Does it sound disingenuous to you when someone addresses everyone they speak to as "My friend"  Neal Cavuto on Fox and Fox Business does it all the time on his shows. The late senator John McCain did it as well. I've heard a few QVC hosts do this too, and it really irritates me. Maybe it's just a tic. It sounds as bad as someone saying "Doll" or "Sweetie" but no one would do that on TV. It seems fake and patronizing to me.

@PA Mom-mom   If it sounds disingenuous to you then it will be disingenuous no matter who says it.

Better a positive remark than all the rest of the sniping that happens on a variety of programs.

You do you.  It's not a big deal to me.

Personally the one phrase that I do not like is "You guys" often accompanied by "Hey guys".

I refer to my husband, son and grandson as you guys all the time.  Not sure how else to address them as a group.  😊 

I have always thought of calling anyone my friend as being a generational term.  I do not mind being called honey, etc, as it is always friendly.  I wonder if my doctors or the vet mind that I refer to them as doc 😏

Valued Contributor

When my son was an early teen he started greeting people with "hey, friend". Once I asked why he did and he said someone might be in need of a friend.  He'll be 22 in a couple months.  He still does it.  I hope he always does.  

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma,

What a sweetheart of a son you have!❤️

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@on the bay  - Thank you Heart

Esteemed Contributor

This may be regional thing or cultural. It happens in Dunkin all of the time. One of our maintenance men say it tho from different cultures. I absolutely hate being called “mommy” & my husband called “poppy”. I guess it’s better than “grandma” but I hate it

Valued Contributor

It doesn't bother me. Matter of fact, it was never on my radar until you mentioned it.  I don't know, I think it conveys a bit of good will towards the recipient. We could all use more of that these days.  

Valued Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

When my son was an early teen he started greeting people with "hey, friend". Once I asked why he did and he said someone might be in need of a friend.  He'll be 22 in a couple months.  He still does it.  I hope he always does.  

@DrakesMomma  You just made me choke up a litt bit. Your son sounds like a terrific kid.  Congratulations on raising such a kind human. You must be very proud of him 👏

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@PA Mom-mom   If it sounds disingenuous to you then it will be disingenuous no matter who says it.

Better a positive remark than all the rest of the sniping that happens on a variety of programs.

You do you.  It's not a big deal to me.

Personally the one phrase that I do not like is "You guys" often accompanied by "Hey guys".

I refer to my husband, son and grandson as you guys all the time.  Not sure how else to address them as a group.  😊 

I have always thought of calling anyone my friend as being a generational term.  I do not mind being called honey, etc, as it is always friendly.  I wonder if my doctors or the vet mind that I refer to them as doc 😏

@tansy   But you are addressing a close group of male family members.

My issue is when poster here says "you guys" or you see the expression used on professional TV programs-including "hey guys".

eta:  GS is here and I will say "Do you guys want lunch now" e.g.

Note the distinction.  jmoymmv

It is not that is bothers me to the extent some other expressions bother others. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Regular Contributor

This is very common to call someone "my friend" in Spanish.  It is a form of politeness. How can politeness be bad?