Honored Contributor

Re: People Who Call Everyone "My Friend"

I'd rather strangers didn't call me friend, but if they did, I'd just let it go. Where I live, no one calls strangers friend, at least not as far as I know. If there are those from a culture that calls people Mama, I haven't met them.

There are men who call all boys son, and older men, generally from the South, who call women with children along with their wives Mother. 

Trusted Contributor

@Trailrun23
How is having someone tell you to have a blessed day a bad thing.

Also how wrong can it be to think of someone as a "friend" rather than keep your head down and not interact in a positive way at all....
We are human beings. We are all unique and special.
A warm greeting from a sincere heart should go far to show anyone they are appreciated.
I appreciate the ppl I work with. They are co-workers and friends.

I respect and appreciate ppl I come across every day that I don't know. I want them to have a blessed day. If there's a way for me to do that from giving a hungry man food to giving someone a warm sincere smile and telling them to have a blessed day, I'll do it.

I'm glad I live somewhere where ppl appreciate kindness from others.
Valued Contributor

This reminds me of those who are offended and even ticked off if they hear Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and if someone wishes me Happy anything with good intentions it's fine with me. Same with those who call you friend, no big deal.

Honored Contributor

I do have to admit that on Memorial Day this year, I heard 1 person say: Happy Memorial Day.  I had to shake my head on that one.  That shoe didn't fit.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DrakesMomma wrote:

When my son was an early teen he started greeting people with "hey, friend". Once I asked why he did and he said someone might be in need of a friend.  He'll be 22 in a couple months.  He still does it.  I hope he always does.  

That is just precious. What a great son you have.

I don't mind being called "hon" or "sweetie," etc. I kind of like it....not offensive to me at all.

Valued Contributor

@BoopOMatic  -  Thank you Heart