Esteemed Contributor

People Who Call Everyone "My Friend"

Does it sound disingenuous to you when someone addresses everyone they speak to as "My friend"  Neal Cavuto on Fox and Fox Business does it all the time on his shows. The late senator John McCain did it as well. I've heard a few QVC hosts do this too, and it really irritates me. Maybe it's just a tic. It sounds as bad as someone saying "Doll" or "Sweetie" but no one would do that on TV. It seems fake and patronizing to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: People Who Call Everyone "My Friend"

@PA Mom-mom I don't see it as a real fault. Why not?  Would you rather call them "my enemy?"  How about "friend" until proven otherwise.  Wouldn't that be nice?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  No, it isn't a choice between calling everyone my friend or my enemy. It just seems fake to me. The term friend has a different connotation to me.

ETA: I can see your point, however. The Quakers address everyone as Friend. 

Respected Contributor

Usually when someone calls me my friend they want me to do a favor for them.
Respected Contributor

@lgfan wrote:
Usually when someone calls me my friend they want me to do a favor for them.

@lgfan   Agree...or buy something from them.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

My mother-in-law does it.

Trusted Contributor

I know a couple of people who do this.  While I don't particularly like it, I have become accustomed to it as a sort of speech tic.

Respected Contributor

I am guilty of this; but I don't feel guilty about doing it. I don't think it sound disingenuous unless it's said like... "Listen here friend."

Say the guy at the gas station helps me pump gas, or cleans the windshield; I may say "Thank you my friend." I like it better then sir.  Not so formal. 

Although he may not be my friend in reality; he has acted in a friendly manner and in that moment he's seen as a friend to me.

Someone drops their wallet unknowingly; I might say " My friend, you dropped something." Instead of calling out

Honey, Sir, Miss, Mack, Buddy, Young lady, guy...YO! or HEY YOU! 😝 

Esteemed Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

I am guilty of this; but I don't feel guilty about doing it. I don't think it sound disingenuous unless it's said like... "Listen here friend."

@KBEANS  I guess it's like the line from "The Virginian"  "When you call me that, smile."

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom  Good one "My friend!" 😊