Honored Contributor

Re: People Who Call Everyone "My Friend"

[ Edited ]

When they say that, it's like a hug from the heart to the other person and a sign of respect.  So it doesn't bother me.  Guess it depends on how each person sees it.

Also see it as a replacement for someone's name. 

Honored Contributor

There are worse things to be called.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I'm guilty of doing this...if you could call it guilty. I consider it a term of endearment.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Yes - drives me nuts.  Mary D - QVC - really overworks it........

@fthunt 

Dan H, say's it to every single vendor. His friend, they have been buddies since man walked the earth. etc.

It's a sales  gimmick that I find irritating. 

@icezeus   Nailed it!  How could I forget Dan Hughes?  He takes the "my friend" shtick to a whole new level. Smiley Very Happy

His monologue about how he met each vendor in the nursery ward and they gave each other kidneys 20 years ago

It doesn't really bother me though.    

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Does it sound disingenuous to you when someone addresses everyone they speak to as "My friend"  Neal Cavuto on Fox and Fox Business does it all the time on his shows. The late senator John McCain did it as well. I've heard a few QVC hosts do this too, and it really irritates me. Maybe it's just a tic. It sounds as bad as someone saying "Doll" or "Sweetie" but no one would do that on TV. It seems fake and patronizing to me.

First, who cares what they call each other on tv. No one knows for sure that they are or aren't friends. Second, I can confirm that no one on that network would ever refer to me as friend.

Honored Contributor

I had a doctor who was horrible at remembering names and would call everyone buddy, pal, guy, etc. It never bothered me. People call you what they want to call you and it's almost never meant as an insult or demeaning. I get called Hon, Dear, Sweetie, all the time by women I don't know. (Nurses do it a lot as do my local Walmart clerks.)  

My brother and dad called everyone their "good friend." I'd ask, Where did you meet him? I don't know. How long have you known him? I don't remember. Where's he live? I'm not sure. What's he do? I don't think he's ever said. But to them, they were a "good friend" even if they knew absolutely nothing about them other than their name. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman,

So funny!😂

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

What a strange thing to overthink.
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Does it sound disingenuous to you when someone addresses everyone they speak to as "My friend"  Neal Cavuto on Fox and Fox Business does it all the time on his shows. The late senator John McCain did it as well. I've heard a few QVC hosts do this too, and it really irritates me. Maybe it's just a tic. It sounds as bad as someone saying "Doll" or "Sweetie" but no one would do that on TV. It seems fake and patronizing to me.

@PA Mom-mom   If it sounds disingenuous to you then it will be disingenuous no matter who says it.

Better a positive remark than all the rest of the sniping that happens on a variety of programs.

You do you.  It's not a big deal to me.

Personally the one phrase that I do not like is "You guys" often accompanied by "Hey guys".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

I agree.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)