Esteemed Contributor

Re: People Who Call Everyone "My Friend"

I agree

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

When my son was an early teen he started greeting people with "hey, friend". Once I asked why he did and he said someone might be in need of a friend.  He'll be 22 in a couple months.  He still does it.  I hope he always does.  

@DrakesMomma  I hope he always does too, that's the sweetest answer on here!!!

Trusted Contributor

Worked with a gal named Rhea years ago who was very 'old school,' whenever we would have a group conversation, etc., someone would say, oh, my friend, Linda over there is so nice, Rhea would jump up and say, she is NOT a friend, she is a co-worker, you don't have friends at work!  Everytime I would hear someone mention 'friend' at work I would chuckle to myself and in my head say, she/he is only a co-worker, lol.

Honored Contributor

I suppose if everyone is elevated to friend, then actual friends need called something else or a qualifier added like true or close or best or super... I know that there are those who use mother, son sister, daughter when addressing people who aren't their mother, son, sister, or daughter. To me, it's disrespectful. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This sounds extreme, but you never know how some crazy nut job might react if some stranger tries to become too familiar with them by calling them friend/honey or whatever. It's not a good idea.

Also, in some cases, it might come across as condescending. Many years ago, a sales associate at a dept. store called me honey. We were about the same age. She probably meant it to be friendly, but it came across as condescending. 

I always thought it was weird. There's no need to be calling strangers friend/honey. You can still be nice without calling strangers friend/honey.

jmo

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

This sounds extreme, but you never know how some crazy nut job might react if some stranger tries to become too familiar with them by calling them friend/honey or whatever. It's not a good idea.

Also, in some cases, it might come across as condescending. Many years ago, a sales associate at a dept. store called me honey. We were about the same age. She probably meant it to be friendly, but it came across as condescending. 

I always thought it was weird. There's no need to be calling strangers friend/honey. You can still be nice without calling strangers friend/honey.

jmo

@Daisy Sunflower  You make a very good point about the "nutjob going off".  There was a  cashier I worked with who called every customer honey or baby.  One day a guy starting screaming at her I'M NOT YOUR BABY!!  He raised such a commotion it was insane.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why don't we just drop "labels", never have liked them since childhood.  This is so right on time.

From our Senior Center:  I just got a birthday card.  My first name(&last) is correct on the envelope.  However, on the inside it says to (wrong first name), then the sentiment and it's signed.

"Happy Birthday from your friends at the P. Senior Center.

THANKS FRIENDS.  LOL  LOL  For crying out loud, didn't even get my first name right. LOL.  

Honored Contributor

Woman LOLSmiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I suppose if everyone is elevated to friend, then actual friends need called something else or a qualifier added like true or close or best or super... I know that there are those who use mother, son sister, daughter when addressing people who aren't their mother, son, sister, or daughter. To me, it's disrespectful. 

@occasionalrain   I have never heard a person address somebody as mother, son, sister, daughter in that manner.

In the Hispanic culture "Mama" is used and even my DS's FIL will call me "Mama" sometimes.

I would never  consider it disrespectful; it is a cultural  issue and I actually think it is sweet.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I don't understand why anyone would be offended by being called "friend".  A lot worse things a person could be called.