Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

As a parent, I would want to know how my child was killed. I would spend the rest of my life trying to figure out the mystery. I guess I don't know what an autopsy involves, it is that obtrusive? 

@scatcat Yes, it's incredibly obtrusive.  It can be hard for people to think of their loved one's body being treated in that way.  I'm with you though.  I would definitely want to know, and I know that the body that is left is not my loved one any longer.

Slightly more graphic detail under the spoiler tag...

Spoiler
A standard autopsy involves extensive examination of the chest, abdominal cavity and brain, which requires "opening up, " removing, and moving around all the skin/fat/muscle/bones in the way of what you want to see.
Honored Contributor

Botulism involves a neurotoxin which essentially killed his brain and lead to his death.

Honored Contributor

Is it possible that they were able to donate some of his organs, thereby leaving nothing "substantial" behind to autopsy?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Otto Warmbier Autopsy

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal Back in 1990 when my Mom passed away she died from a disease that doctors' were just beginning to study and they asked if they could perform an autopsy so they too could study the effects of her heart and lung that were affected, all 4 of us kids did not hesitate and gave our permission immediately, if we could help one person or one family not endure the pain, then we knew we had to!

There are two forms of the disease my Mom had, several years ago, I was diagnosed with the lesser severe of the two, when I was diagnosed all of my siblings called me and told me that it was a sign from my Mom that we had made the right decision, as research has come so far in the treatment of this disease!

I have to stop now, this just brings on the waterworks!

Honored Contributor

I can completely respect their decision on this.  What difference does it really make?  He is gone and cannot be brought back.  They know it was a painful death.  Knowing all the details might be more than they can handle.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was truly surprised at this. I would have thought they'd want to know so they can bring light to whatever it is the N. Koreans did to him. This may help stop others from going there and risking their lives and also make others realize how we need to work harder to get our other prisoners back ASAP.

As it stands right now, there truly is no proof that they did anything to him. For all we really know, he could have suffered something pulmonary or cardiac related naturally. Without solid proof, everything else is PURELY speculation.

Trust me, I know NK violates human rights and does horrible things to their prisoners -just listen to stories of those that have been prisoners and released in the past. Trust me,  I think they did something to him. I think they employed a type of interrogation that caused him to suffer a pulmonary or cardiac event that he could never recover from because they took it too far. But without definitive evidence that could rule out natural causes (he coud have had underlying issues that no one knew about but was exacerbated by stress), I can only speculate. And, imo, speculation isn't enough to convict someone or a nation of something. 

Esteemed Contributor

Under the circumstances I don't know if I would allow an autopsy but I would not hesitate to allow full body diagnostic imaging.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

As a parent, I would want to know how my child was killed. I would spend the rest of my life trying to figure out the mystery. I guess I don't know what an autopsy involves, it is that obtrusive? 

Yes, very!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Is it possible that they were able to donate some of his organs, thereby leaving nothing "substantial" behind to autopsy?

I did not realize that he was an organ donor. I didn't think they could use organs from a person who was afflicted with the botulinum toxin.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can only suggest that the family doesn't want all the publicity to continue for who knows how long.  I'm sure they would just prefer to be left alone now to grieve privately in their own way.  What I would do in my own life could understandably be different than if I was in their shoes.