Esteemed Contributor

Re: Otto Warmbier Autopsy

[ Edited ]

@ncascade wrote:

It will not bring him back and healthy. There are at least 3 Americans still held as POWs.

All the more reason for an autopsy.Maybe it could help one of the others held there if they knew what they did to him to cause his death.

I can also believe he conctaced Botulism,they probably feed them rotton food  Smiley Sad

I am wondering why our gov did not do more to get him home when it happened. I really do not know much about the case ,except what happened now. I do not remember hearing about it before.

@scatcat

yes,it is very intrusive and they also collect samples and store them sometimes.. My DH had an autopsy. To me  the person is already dead ,so

it doesn't bother me at all,.you get the body back and you cannot see they did anything ,unless you strip the body and look and who does that. Some religons forbid it.Maybe theirs does..

Honored Contributor

Scatcat: Yes

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I believe that in a case like this, they know the probability of what caused his death.  Yes, it's speculation but doctors already stating that there is no evidence of botulism....  that speculation would be good enough for me.  And because of that, I would not want his remains put through anything more as a matter of principle. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scatcat wrote:

As a parent, I would want to know how my child was killed. I would spend the rest of my life trying to figure out the mystery. I guess I don't know what an autopsy involves, it is that obtrusive? 

Yes, it can be extremely obtrusive and intrusive.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I think they have probably been told more than we as the public will ever know. His brain was deprived of oxygen. He was tortured to the point of death. I think now his family just wants to let him rest. 

Esteemed Contributor

I understand why they would not allow an autopsy. They are suffering over the circumstances surrounding Otto's death. They probably can't handle the details or the thought of their son being violated again. I wish them peace!! I wonder though if they'll ever find it!!

Honored Contributor

I could not do the autopsy as a parent.  It will not bring him back and even though it is only a shell and not him they still wrapped their arms around that shell and gave him kisses.  Resting in peace now.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I could not do the autopsy as a parent.  It will not bring him back and even though it is only a shell and not him they still wrapped their arms around that shell and gave him kisses.  Resting in peace now.

@beckyb1012,I agree with this 110%. Knowing how my child died would not bring them back, knowing how they died would not lessen the agony or the grief of losing your child.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe the parents don't want to know.

Maybe if they knew, it would put images in their head that they would have for the rest of their lives.

Right now, it's just speculation as to the causr, but to know for certain the concrete cause, can be worse.

Ever heard of the saying that sometimes it's better not to know?

This may be one of those times.

I support the parent's not wanting an autopsy.

They probably just want Otto to rest in peace.

Someone asked if an autopsy is invasive.

In an autopsy, they open the torso, and crack open the ribs, and remove out of the body the heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas, spleen, etc in order to measure them, and weigh them on a scale.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I think they have probably been told more than we as the public will ever know. His brain was deprived of oxygen. He was tortured to the point of death. I think now his family just wants to let him rest. 

I agree.