Respected Contributor

I don't get it.  Why do Lori, Jane & Courtney say, "I'm sorry, but this is so stinking cute"?  Of course, I'm heard this time and time again from others.  I just don't understand why people apologize for something they really like.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

Maybe they are apologizing for saying "stinking".  It is basically replacing another word that would be deemed a "bad word" to most people and not appropriate for TV. Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Hosts are challenged to talk non-stop. Filling in with asides, apologies, and all manner of verbiage is part and parcel of their job.

Honored Contributor

I agree.... it's a preface for an opinion or a word that may not be popular so they apologize in advance.... I'm sorry, I find that stinkin' wrong.... j/k Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

I think it's sort of a verbal tick (bad habit) that people "catch" from others.  My SIL (whom I adore) uses "I'm sorry" to preface any, and all opions.  Her entire family does it constantly, I've learned to just ignore it, but it is annoying.

Respected Contributor

@MezzieStarr wrote:

Maybe they are apologizing for saying "stinking".  It is basically replacing another word that would be deemed a "bad word" to most people and not appropriate for TV. Woman LOL

Ooh you have a Blythe doll avatar!Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I'm SORRY, but isn't STINKING CUTE somewhat of an oxymoron? 

Honored Contributor

I'm not offended by the 'I'm sorry...' so much as skeeved out by the 'stinkin' cute'.   Ugh!    

I dont' know where that phrase originated but it's a massive turn-off for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

stinkin' yeah--cute no......

Honored Contributor

Valley Speak or some other "current slang" ??

♥Surface of the Sun♥