Esteemed Contributor

I saw that his parents won't allow an autopsy.  Wonder why?  I know it is invasive, but I would certainly want to know what killed my son in a case like this.  But, I'm sure they have their reasons.

Honored Contributor

It may be for religious beliefs. 

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

Maybe they just want to let him rest in peace. 

Some people feel it's a "violation" to their loved ones to subject them to an autopsy.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3, the whole situation is so sad, I would want to know, but sometimes things are just left better unsaid, maybe that is the case for them!Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

They've been through so much.  Can't imagine having to also go through an autopsy.  While it would be nice to know the cause, I can certainly understand their position.

Honored Contributor

It will not bring him back and healthy. There are at least 3 Americans still held as POWs.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps any additional information would just be too painful.  I respect the family for embarking on their grief journey in the way best for them.  

R.I.P. Otto Warmbier

Honored Contributor

"The family of Otto Warmbier, the imprisoned 22-year-old who mysteriously fell into a year-long coma in North Korea and died, has refused to allow an Ohio coroner perform an autopsy.

Hamilton County's Dr. Lashmi Sammarco said Tuesday that her office is investigating Warmbier's death but will not go beyond an external examination of the body, citing his parents' objection to an autopsy.

The coroner did not elaborate on why the parents said no to an autopsy, as the cause of death remains uncertain."

FULL ARTICLE LINK

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Approving an autopsy can be very difficult.  When my husband died of a rare disease, the doctors said it could help them learn more about the disease and that they had no idea if it could be inherited by my children.  I allowed the autopsy.  But at that time it was quite difficult to make the decision.  I can only hope my decision helped others.

Respected Contributor

Re: Otto Warmbier Autopsy

[ Edited ]

As a parent, I would want to know how my child was killed. I would spend the rest of my life trying to figure out the mystery. I guess I don't know what an autopsy involves, it is that intrusive?