Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

The only time Ive written a check recently was when my sister called said she was at the store and asked if there was anything I needed (my grocery store is always poorly stocked even way before the pandemic they were this way, but the store she goes to always has everything).....There were a couple items I needed, she brought them to me....I wrote her a check....and she did the thing where you take a photo of the check with your iphone and it gets posted to the account....so easy.......so convenient........

We had one of our royalty owners did that with her check we sent her as a mobile deposit.  She did one check three different times in 2015.   The bank did not catch it I did buy going over our bank statements.  We were refunded the money and then she did it again with another check.  We did not prosecute her but sent her a strong letter that if she attempted to deposit anymore checks more than once then we would file charges.  That was the banks fault for not having a better procedure once the check was deposited the first time.  

Happened to our company too @beckyb1012 

A fuel vendor was repeating mobile deposits....then he was changing the check number and trying again!

I caught it....NOT the bank....and was able to deny the checks online.

He was depositing the checks into his own FCU and NOT to his companies account which he was supposed to do, as well as multiple mobile deposting of the same check.

He did this with 3 companies payments...I don't like mobile depositing!!

He IS being prosecuted....Grand Jury hearing next month.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

The only time Ive written a check recently was when my sister called said she was at the store and asked if there was anything I needed (my grocery store is always poorly stocked even way before the pandemic they were this way, but the store she goes to always has everything).....There were a couple items I needed, she brought them to me....I wrote her a check....and she did the thing where you take a photo of the check with your iphone and it gets posted to the account....so easy.......so convenient........

We had one of our royalty owners did that with her check we sent her as a mobile deposit.  She did one check three different times in 2015.   The bank did not catch it I did buy going over our bank statements.  We were refunded the money and then she did it again with another check.  We did not prosecute her but sent her a strong letter that if she attempted to deposit anymore checks more than once then we would file charges.  That was the banks fault for not having a better procedure once the check was deposited the first time.  

@beckyb1012 

That Bank wasnt doing do deligence---it seems they would have questioned it......

@Spurt 

The banks use only electronic systems...no real person with a brain is seeing this, just some computer system which can't recognize duplicates.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Your statements are safer being stored online @occasionalrain .   A paper statement can be stolen, lost in the mail, mailed to the wrong address, etc.  If it gets in the wrong hands, all your information is printed on the paper statement.

Not always @San Antonio Gal 

Our company bank accounts were also hacked online.   He/she was able to divert funds, make wire transfers etc

Recreated paper checks that looked a lot like our company checks....then diverted funds between accounts. to make sure they didn't bounce.

He was somehow able to have his caller ID say our Company name when he called the bank to make transfers.

I caught it all, but they will never catch him....

That...and my previously mentioned Fuel vendor thief was all going on around the same time!!  It was a hard couple months and a nightmare to get reversed.

Oneline info is HIGHLY susceptible to Oneline thieves and hackers.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

My bank statement hasn't my birth date, hasn't  my SS number, and only the last four numbers of my account. Where as my online account has a drop down to my to my entire account number. Other than a package, my mail has never been miss-delivered.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I pay nothing online and I get all my statements regarding my accounts in the mail.  None of the financial institutions charge a thing for the documents.   Since I was a jr. in high school when I opened my first checking and savings account I have loved writing the checks and getting the mail.  Still do.

@beckyb1012  I am guessing you are a boomer like I am?  I am 67 this week and also write checks for most bills when I can.  I think check writing will be gone when we Boomers die off.... it is what I grew up with....the youngsters today would never write a check😄

When we rented an apartment a few years ago and wrote a check for the security deposit, the agent was impressed!!  He said the young people do not know how to write out a check.  I'm sure now people can just transfer the money via their smartphones!!

I have started wondering if the non check writing for them is due to only their thumbs working and not the other parts of their hand?

@beckyb1012 

LOLOLOL!!  Too funny!

I am training my bosses daughter to eventually take over my job (although I am NOT retiring anytime soon in this recession!)

Anyways, she is about 22. 

Doesn't know how to write a check, balance a check book OR use the keyboard properly.  Can barely work a calculator!

What the heck did they teach her in school????

Our company is old time, we handwrite checks, USE a check book etc.

Guess I have a lot to teach her!

@RespectLife 

True story. A few years back my SIL calls me and tells me that she has failed as a parent. I ask her what was she talking about. My nephew who was 18 at the time, was away in boot camp. He mailed her letter, with just her name on it.  No address, because obviously the post office would know who his mom was. (SMH)  It never made it off the base and they returned it to him where he shared the story with his mom.

We had a good laugh about it.

This is a smart kid. I thought the same thing. What the heck are kids doing in school. That just seems so basic to me. LOL

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@RespectLife 

My bank statement hasn't my birth date, hasn't  my SS number, and only the last four numbers of my account. Where as my online account has a drop down to my to my entire account number. Other than a package, my mail has never been miss-delivered.

I think you meant this response for someone else @occasionalrain 

I didn't say any of what you responded to about private info.....or misdirected mail....

Honored Contributor

LOL @icezeus  !!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

You are right, I didn't mean it for you. I apologize.

Honored Contributor

Oh no problem at all @occasionalrain 

Super Contributor

So many responses were "download it and print it."

I can't figure out why so many people and businesses assume everyone has that capability.

I cringe everytime I see a change is being made "to better serve you."  First the bad grammar is like chalk scratching a chalkboard.  Second, it's a clear signal it's for their convenience, not mine.