Honored Contributor

One of the banks I use notified me that they will now be charging a fee for mailed statements. I pay my bills on line but want my statements mailed to me. Because of this, I've begun moving my money from that bank and will be closing my accounts. Banking is competitive. I regularly receive offers from various banks wanting my business. The latest was $300 to open a checking account. Nickel and dime fees charged to a current customer is an added incentive to relocate their checking account to the bank offering them $300.

Honored Contributor

I always get mine on line.  I can print them off or make a digital PDF file and store it online.   If something happens I have backups that way.

Respected Contributor

Re: Online Bank Statements

[ Edited ]

I balance my paper statement every month, but for some reason can't do it when trying on line. I don't know why I have trouble with doing that. Hopefully, my bank won't do that.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

One of the banks I use notified me that they will now be charging a fee for mailed statements. I pay my bills on line but want my statements mailed to me. Because of this, I've begun moving my money from that bank and will be closing my accounts. Banking is competitive. I regularly receive offers from various banks wanting my business. The latest was $300 to open a checking account. Nickel and dime fees charged to a current customer is an added incentive to relocate their checking account to the bank offering them $300.

@occasionalrain  I bank with BOA. They started charging $5 for mailed statements a few years ago....I decided to just do everything online so I did not have to pay...

I just transfer the BOA visa bill money from my BOA checking account. No check mailed and no postage either. I pay many bills by check, a few I pay on auto pay on a credit card....I am from the old school....slowly going towards not writing checks, but it is hard to change. 

Respected Contributor

First-congratulations.  You're voting with your feet, something that many consumers do not do.

Second, I get my banking statements on-line.  I print them out and use them as if they were mailed to me.  Works for me.

Honored Contributor

Did you go into the bank and tell them you want to close the account?

A bank we did business was bought by another bank that wanted to charge $5 a month for a statement so we went in to close the account.  

Funny when you tell them why they can automatically waive the fee forever.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure if my bank charges for mailing statements but I've been getting them online for years. We go through periods where I don't feel my USPS mail is safe; I would get them some months, some months not. Most every company I do business with charges to mail bills or statements, even our county offices where we pay taxes charges for paper bills.

Respected Contributor

I happily went paperless with my bank.  I can't tell you the last time I opened a statement.  I can track my transactions in real time with my bank's app.

Honored Contributor

Greed at its best!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter I agree, just go to the bank and tell them you're closing your account and why.

However, it's not that hard to get your statement online and print it out. Don't leave a bank you like otherwise just because you don't want your statement online. If you still are determined to change banks, there's a possibility that your new bank will eventually charge to mail statements too.  You might want to try a credit union. If you change, be very careful to get all your automatic payments informed of the new bank. I understand how you feel because these little fees can just eat you up.  I understand how you feel, and believe me, if our bank were to start nickel and diming us, we would be gone in a heartbeat.