Honored Contributor

The only time Ive written a check recently was when my sister called said she was at the store and asked if there was anything I needed (my grocery store is always poorly stocked even way before the pandemic they were this way, but the store she goes to always has everything).....There were a couple items I needed, she brought them to me....I wrote her a check....and she did the thing where you take a photo of the check with your iphone and it gets posted to the account....so easy.......so convenient........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

The only time Ive written a check recently was when my sister called said she was at the store and asked if there was anything I needed (my grocery store is always poorly stocked even way before the pandemic they were this way, but the store she goes to always has everything).....There were a couple items I needed, she brought them to me....I wrote her a check....and she did the thing where you take a photo of the check with your iphone and it gets posted to the account....so easy.......so convenient........

We had one of our royalty owners did that with her check we sent her as a mobile deposit.  She did one check three different times in 2015.   The bank did not catch it I did buy going over our bank statements.  We were refunded the money and then she did it again with another check.  We did not prosecute her but sent her a strong letter that if she attempted to deposit anymore checks more than once then we would file charges.  That was the banks fault for not having a better procedure once the check was deposited the first time.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Online Bank Statements

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

I balance my paper statement every month, but for some reason can't do it when trying on line. I don't know why I have trouble with doing that. Hopefully, my bank won't do that.

Me too @catter70 

My bank charges a fee to mail statements also, and I refuse to pay it.

I get the statement online and print it....then balance the old fasion way!

I haven't "balanced" anything in decades.  Just eyeball the statement to make sure everything is OK and done!

@kaydee50 

Me either. I do go online every day and using my checkbook I put a check mark next to everything that has posted to make sure there are no suspicious deductions. 

Honored Contributor
There is no way I would ever mail a check to pay a bill unless there was no other option.
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I pay nothing online and I get all my statements regarding my accounts in the mail.  None of the financial institutions charge a thing for the documents.   Since I was a jr. in high school when I opened my first checking and savings account I have loved writing the checks and getting the mail.  Still do.

@beckyb1012  I am guessing you are a boomer like I am?  I am 67 this week and also write checks for most bills when I can.  I think check writing will be gone when we Boomers die off.... it is what I grew up with....the youngsters today would never write a check😄

When we rented an apartment a few years ago and wrote a check for the security deposit, the agent was impressed!!  He said the young people do not know how to write out a check.  I'm sure now people can just transfer the money via their smartphones!!

@kaydee50 

A check is pretty much self explanatory......SMH!

Another problem is some states no longer teach cursive.....And on some legal documents you are required to both sign in cursive and print your signature----I wonder what they do.  I just went to the doctor and had to sign such a form....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

We had one of our royalty owners did that with her check we sent her as a mobile deposit.  She did one check three different times in 2015.   The bank did not catch it I did buy going over our bank statements.  We were refunded the money and then she did it again with another check.  We did not prosecute her but sent her a strong letter that if she attempted to deposit anymore checks more than once then we would file charges.  That was the banks fault for not having a better procedure once the check was deposited the first time.  

@beckyb1012 

That Bank wasnt doing do deligence---it seems they would have questioned it......

Esteemed Contributor

My banking and brokerage apps are the greatest innovations ever.

I go in each morning to see what has been paid, what has been posted and could readily spot anything unusual,  rather than wait for a monthly paper mailing.  Essentially,  I balance my account daily.

I use apps to manage my IRA and 401k accounts also.

I'm glad to have eliminated paper clutter.

Super Contributor

Yes, our bank notified us last year that they were charging for mailed statements. No problem. We check our banking activities on-line anyway. It's also nice to have the alerts if anything goes wrong. However, I agree that for some people, charging for mailing statements could be a problem. I think $5 is egregious when it only costs around .60 cents to mail a letter. 

Honored Contributor

Some people embrace new things and some cling to the old ways.  It's just how folks are, and it's interesting where people make stand and get worked up about different things.

I always learn things reading these posts, and I thank all of you for sharing your thoughts!  It is what makes life interesting.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

I balance my paper statement every month, but for some reason can't do it when trying on line. I don't know why I have trouble with doing that. Hopefully, my bank won't do that.

Me too @catter70 

My bank charges a fee to mail statements also, and I refuse to pay it.

I get the statement online and print it....then balance the old fasion way!

I haven't "balanced" anything in decades.  Just eyeball the statement to make sure everything is OK and done!

@kaydee50 

Me either. I do go online every day and using my checkbook I put a check mark next to everything that has posted.   To make sure there are no suspicious deductions. 

@icezeus  - same here.  It's so easy just to look at what has cleared during the week instead of waiting for a paper statement and then attempting to "balance".