Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Anonymous032819  I guess you only work 5 miles from home lol. 6 years and only 80,000 miles.  You are within the range because i remember when most vehicles average 12,000 miles per year but now people work further away.

@Sage04 

I wish  that I lived five miles from where I work! *lol*

I live 20 miles away, so it's a 40 mile r/t.

I just don't drive a lot.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, girl, we always had vans like Dodge Caravans (quit making them now, maybe still have the Grand Caravan not sure) but it was between

Toyota Sienna and  Kia big van we had a Kia SUV but it was like me

top heavy and it wasn't quite big enough to go on vacation with suitcases, souvenairs, his blasted coolers and junk he drags, my Mall stuff, etc.  So, even though we're 'old' hhahaha we went back to a van.

People all say the same thing "what do you 2 need with a van you don't have kids" blah, blah We just say we need room because we're junky and a van has more stability then a SUV doesn't rock during a strong wind at the stop light. Had that to happen to me scared me to death thought it was going lift that thing right off the ground. Vans have a wider wheel base I feel safer in a van.

@Sage04 

Honored Contributor

Important info!

Be careful if you go to a "Insta/Jiffy" type of place for an oil change. A couple of first hand experiences, 1 from me and 1 from my Dealership Mechanic friend.

Mine: My wife decided to take her 1995 Pontiac Gran Prix to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change. We were selling the car and making sure everything was up to snuff.

I won't go into the details of the particular engine in it, just around them. She calls me at home and says the manager told her not to start the engine, they had driven it off the hoist to outside that oil bay.

I told her to get me the manager so he gets on the phone. He proceeds to tell me "if you start the engine it will ruin it". Got tired of his BS so drove the 6 miles to get there.

Long story short, the kid that did the oil change scr*w*d up! He actually ruined a part of the engine, and had I started it? Bad things would happen.

I wasn't exactly sure of the problem so I called my mechanic friend. He lived close so he came to this Jiffy Lube location. He works on GM cars so he knows the engines. Now by this time the kid that did the work? He was gone, hmmm!!

Diagnosed it as soon as he looked at the engine he knew exactly what had happened. Why? Because several cars with this engined were towed to his dealership, same thing.

Summary of this! Manager would not pay for the damage, so! Another friend is an attorney and sent Jiffy Lube the price to repair the engine/the cost to tow the car to the dealership. They decided to pay and not go to court.

Same mechanic friend started out his career working for Jiffy Lube. He told me how many cars, in the short time he worked there, where after their oil changes, the customers engines either blew up or seized up(froze). Why? Because the worker(s) after changing oil, forgot to put the plug into the oil pan. 

Easy to trace oil track on the street from their location. There ya go, what you do is not my business.

Want specific details for that engine? Just ask me!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE  mine was a white Doge Caravan. I love it and I miss it. I ask my nephew to find me another one. They will go out of production next year. Somehow I don´t like the front of the 2020 or 2019.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  as I mentioned earlier in this Thread, something similiar happened to my nephew´s car. My other nephew who is a mechanic had to come here from Florida to fix it. He told him never go to Jiffy Lube again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Today I had the oil changed in my car.

Hard to believe that it already has 80,500 miles on it.

I bought the car in 2014 with only 8,000 miles on it, and it was only a year old!

I took it to a Jiffy Lube type place, where you stay in your car as they change the oil.

Did Jiffy Lube tell u that u needed window wipers or an air filter? That's their gimmick - to make more money. Years ago, I, stupidly, took my car to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and the worker told me that I needed wipers - I told him that the wipers were brand new.  He told me "they look smooth." I told him that "he looks smooth."  

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I bought the car in 2014 with only 8,000 miles on it, and it was only a year old!

I took it to a Jiffy Lube type place, where you stay in your car as they change the oil.

Did Jiffy Lube tell u that u needed window wipers or an air filter? That's their gimmick - to make more money. Years ago, I, stupidly, took my car to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and the worker told me that I needed wipers - I told him that the wipers were brand new.  He told me "they look smooth." I told him that "he looks smooth."  

@kivah 

It wasn't Jiffy Lube but a Jiffy Lube type place, which is what I said in my first post.

The place that I went to has three bays that you drive in to, and you stay in your car as they change the oil.

It looks like this.

ls.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

They ask me  how my wipers were.

I said that they were fine.

They did NOT say that I needed new wipers.

They showed me my air filter, and said that it was still good, so they did NOT  try to sell me a new air filter.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@kivah 

It wasn't Jiffy Lube but a Jiffy Lube type place, which is what I said in my first post.

The place that I went to has three bays that you drive in to, and you stay in your car as they change the oil.

It looks like this.

ls.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

They ask me  how my wipers were.

I said that they were fine.

They did NOT say that I needed new wipers.

They showed me my air filter, and said that it was still good, so they did NOT  try to sell me a new air filter.

They sound honest - but I wanted others to be aware!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Anonymous032819  I guess you only work 5 miles from home lol. 6 years and only 80,000 miles.  You are within the range because i remember when most vehicles average 12,000 miles per year but now people work further away.

@Sage04 @Anonymous032819 

I purchased my car brand new with only 4 miles on it in September of 2013 its about to turn 7 years old and I have 177,000 miles on it.