Esteemed Contributor

Re: Non Essential = Disposable

@Deree wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I feel a lot could be done to reopen certain businesses and practice good hygiene to make it safe for people.  We are all better (well most of us) at our hygiene and safe practices like maks wearing.  I would imagine a lot of places could do business just fine if everyone wore a mask (properly) and didn't allow overcrowding.  

I feel terribly for all the unemployed people, trying to put food on the table.  I think things need to be balanced out a bit.  I don't have the answers but it is too extreme right now. If all those going out would just comply with the rules the wouldn't have to keep shutting parks and such.  I really think it's all about society coming together and behaving.  But there are always those jerks out there that just can't follow very simple rules, and they ruin it for the rest of us.

@Grouchomarx  Well this is the essence of the whole recovery and I think about it all the time and SMDH.  Just imagine:  If the entire country had been on lockdown for 2 weeks that would be two weeks that anyone who had been infected would recover at home while those in the hospital were tended to.  After that two week period I think we would have been in terrific shape with way fewer than 75,000 deaths.  Would two weeks have been too much to sacrifice?

However, the first time someone travels somewhere they could bring it right back into the country.  It is not fiesable to keep opening and shutting down the entire country.  The virus is a global issue.  However the idea of targeting hotspots and containing the spread is the long term goal.

Yes of course this virus is here to stay and probably with mutations.  But I think the entire world was caught off guard in this instance the very first time so it can't be compared to future instances.  I would hope moving forward and like I said before society will have to change the way it behaves out of necessity and now that we are armed with more knowledge we will have to develop more innovative ways to conduct business, travel, how we go about our daily lives.  I highly doubt we will or can go back to the way life was pre-pandemic.  Changes have to happen. JMO.

I am sure many will find new ways of doing things, yet people tend to have short memories and much of what we did in the past will resume.  I do hope that much is learned about how these viruses spread to prevent or at least catch these type of things quicker in the future. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Just from seeing how many of those that are now out and about in areas opening without masks and social distancing means we are opening too soon without mandates for opening!!  The spread is bound to get worse because of it!!

Honored Contributor

@happycat .........what are junk stores?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Just from seeing how many of those that are now out and about in areas opening without masks and social distancing means we are opening too soon without mandates for opening!!  The spread is bound to get worse because of it!!

There is no way to totally prevent the virus from spreading, you can only slow it down so not to overwhelm the hospitals.  That has been accomplished.  With a better, not perfect, understanding of the virus, we will be able to contain outbreaks to hot spots.  Hopefully it can be identified early and area remain small.  Thus allowing the other areas to continue.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Pook, there are mandates for openings but some people aren't following those mandates.  They are entitled whiney brats who aren't going to let people tell them what to do.

There are those who are having a fit about the fact that some stores, like Costco, are making people wear a mask.  They have whined and cried about how their rights have been infringed upon by being forced to wear a mask.  They live in their own world and don't care about anyone else.

There are places where some refuse to practice social distancing and if something is said to them, they get belligerent.  A security guard was shot for trying to enforce the mask rule, others are being spit on for asking people to please move away the recommended 6 feet and it just goes on and on.    

Trusted Contributor

In many parts of Europe, the term used is "redundant". Go look up the definition and well, it's a different word but the same attitude.

I have always known that I was non-essential. So does DH. So did my father and his co-workers. So does every single person I know who works, no matter their job. We're just cogs in the wheel and are all disposable. Best friend has worked in HR for decades. She was the Big Cheese for a well-known bank; traveled the world. The stories she can tell you and the knowledge regarding investment plans, unions, retirement plans..... amazing. We discuss this a lot now that we are both...non-essential. Bottom line, unless you have a skill that is virtually impossible to replace, you ARE disposable. It just depends WHO thinks you are essential.....until you're not.

Geez, even my kids realize this. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@happycat .........what are junk stores?

I think of it as a step down from a resale store. There are some nice women and mens resale stores. These junk stores may have some clothes, but its a lot of stuff that people get at yard sales, then mark the price up. There are some people who will go to yard sales here, and ask if they can buy all everything if its half way decent stuff, then put in in their booth at a junk store. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is it the same as a consignment shop? Have a few in my town.

Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

In many parts of Europe, the term used is "redundant". Go look up the definition and well, it's a different word but the same attitude.

I have always known that I was non-essential. So does DH. So did my father and his co-workers. So does every single person I know who works, no matter their job. We're just cogs in the wheel and are all disposable. Best friend has worked in HR for decades. She was the Big Cheese for a well-known bank; traveled the world. The stories she can tell you and the knowledge regarding investment plans, unions, retirement plans..... amazing. We discuss this a lot now that we are both...non-essential. Bottom line, unless you have a skill that is virtually impossible to replace, you ARE disposable. It just depends WHO thinks you are essential.....until you're not.

Geez, even my kids realize this. 

While we all know individually we can be replaced by our employer, I was looking at it from a bigger picture.  Whole industries have in some cases randomly been delegated as non essential.  People who have worked hard and are proud of what they have accomplished are now being told it does not matter.  What does that say about us as a society.

Respected Contributor

Their thinking....How dare you want to open your business deemed nonessential, go get an essential job where you can step, fetch & serve me.